Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1964 C-10 Long Bed. Just picked it up cheap and am going to redo everything from the frame up. It is currently sitting on a 72 frame. Anyhow my vision of it looks like most the cool short beds you pull in a google search. So we were going to cut my bed and frame. (Buddy has done them before.). However the way it sits now it almost seems like it would be real short, almost "too short". Not sure why my long bed doesn't look "long" or "too long" like many I see online. Is it because it is flat black and an optical illusion? Any thoughts? Thank you.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum neighbor, I`m just down the hill from you, as you said its just an illusion from the black paint, when you get a chance to shoot pics do so, looks to be a nice start...sign0016

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hangtown,
I have noticed trucks that are lowered look shorter to me, I think again it is an illusion but coupled with the black paint it makes it look "not as long" to me. Looks like a good looking truck now, can't wait to see your vision when it is completed!

P.S. my son lives in Sheridan, maybe my next trip out to see the family you can show it to me in person!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also appears that 60-63 has an overall length of 216 inches with a 133 wheelbase where this a 64 has a length of 206 inches, with a 127 inch wheel base. I know this year the cab changed slightly so most of the "boats" I see online are probably 60-63's?? I may not chop this. I have had 3 guys really into hot rods tell me it looks perfect as it is, and in person it does sure seem like it would be really short. Although most the trucks I prefer are short beds. Title is clean and in reality it is only 20 inches longer than a short bed. A lot of wasted time and money that could be placed elsewhere. I mean I am on a budget with one shot at this. Was going to cut the frame then order short bed panels from LMC, but man it seems like this thingn would be way short. Just trying to gather input. Work on this starts today. Taking it down to sandblast and powder coat the frame. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

Check bed measurements, they also sold a C-30 in pickup style although they are rare, they had a 9 ft bed....I believe..

·
Registered
64 Posts
It also appears that 60-63 has an overall length of 216 inches with a 133 wheelbase where this a 64 has a length of 206 inches, with a 127 inch wheel base. I know this year the cab changed slightly so most of the "boats" I see online are probably 60-63's?? I may not chop this. I have had 3 guys really into hot rods tell me it looks perfect as it is, and in person it does sure seem like it would be really short. Although most the trucks I prefer are short beds. Title is clean and in reality it is only 20 inches longer than a short bed. A lot of wasted time and money that could be placed elsewhere. I mean I am on a budget with one shot at this. Was going to cut the frame then order short bed panels from LMC, but man it seems like this thingn would be way short. Just trying to gather input. Work on this starts today. Taking it down to sandblast and powder coat the frame. Thanks guys.
I like short bed trucks too, but I think that it looks good now. If it were me I would build it as is, but it's your truck. What ever you decide I just want to see pics!
You don't happen to know any of the guys from the Placer County Crawlers 4X4 club do you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply guys will update aome pics here in a bit. The dude I got this from welded the seams on the front fender so I had to pull the cab and fenders with front clip all as one. I think he just plug welded it and bondo'd. Any guys here have body work experience? My thoughts are if I ever had anyone hit me on a fender it would be a real pain the ass to replace. At that point I would have to cut the fender, so I am thinking maybe just doing it now before body work and paint. Any input would be helpful. The dude who had this ground off the drip rails, shaved the door handles and I am not sure why he welded the fenders up. I guess to try and give it a smooth look? More bondo in this than I originally thought. Ugh.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hopefully all the PO did was spot welded it...!

·
Registered
493 Posts
A little hard to compare due to camera angles but to me your truck appears to have factory configuration, when compared to a stock 127" wheel base truck (std 8 ft bed).

With respect to the PO's welded seams if the guy did a poor job welding / cleaning before body work it may come back to haunt you if your planning a top notch paint job.

If you're planning a beater look, I'd be inclined to leave it as is.

It also appears that 60-63 has an overall length of 216 inches with a 133 wheelbase where this a 64 has a length of 206 inches, with a 127 inch wheel base.
1960-1963 had the same wheel base as the 64-66... 127" 8 foot bed, 115" 6-1/2" bed.

The 133" you mentioned was applicable to the 9 ft bed. It was only available from the factory in a step side or as a chassis cab, without a bed.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

_____
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well sorry I took so long to get back. Working 40+ hours a week and trying to get as much progress in as little as time possible. The real roadblock has been bodywork. I have a good friend who has finally agreed to take on the body work as a side project. He is usually slammed busy doing collision repair etc. However, I am kind of on his back burner, since I am on the friend discount, and well of course he needs to be banging out collision jobs and making money. Hopeful to have cab in paint by months end, so I can get my steering column, gauges, wiring, etc all hooked up. Here are pics of the progress from the original pic when I purchased. Cut out all the guys seam welds from whom I purchased the truck, and am doing it all the correct way. This is my first time ever doing a frame off restoration. Thankfully one of my good buddies has done many and we are doing it at his little shop at his house. Truck is currently running on a rolling chassis, exhaust 3/4 of the way done, one piece drive line in that we built. Can't wait to get moving and drive this puppy!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
You been busy.....looks real good from here....!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hangtown I have a set of seat brackets if it turns out you need them, I can`t confirm the later model bench fitment but don`t see why not, most of it would depend on the seat brackets, I don`t have the lock rod that goes from the left to the right to adjust the seat thou, a piece of 3/16 rod is what they used from the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appreciate it. I will let you know on those brackets. Kind of weighing my options to get into a decent bench seat that I can recover with a kit from LMC. I also have a brand new rear frame mount side fill gas tank from LMC if u know anyone interested. Perhaps I should get off my butt and put it on the classifieds haha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looking great, I really enjoy pictures as the truck is progressing. Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another long time to reply... Sorry. Busy working, and spending way too much money on restoring my truck. Here is where I am. Have to paint hood, fenders and doors (doors still need some patch work). Got power brakes (disc up front) plumbed and ready to go along with power steering off of a tilt Ididit steering column. Seats and shifter will be in by Monday or Tuesday along with Pro-car bucket seats shortly behind them. I also believe since my last post we cut the frame and went from longbed to shortbed. I hope all is well!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Another long time to reply... Sorry. Busy working, and spending way too much money on restoring my truck. Here is where I am. Have to paint hood, fenders and doors (doors still need some patch work). Got power brakes (disc up front) plumbed and ready to go along with power steering off of a tilt Ididit steering column. Seats and shifter will be in by Monday or Tuesday along with Pro-car bucket seats shortly behind them. I also believe since my last post we cut the frame and went from longbed to shortbed. I hope all is well!

Oh o...pics didn`t load....!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts