Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks.

I was just wondering if there are any sources that give a guide on the pros and cons of the different/all 3rd gen c/k10s, what to look for in a c/k10 when considering buying (e.i. what should have been replaced on it recently, etc), or just some "quick start" guide for an almost complete newbie like me.

So far, I am looking at possibly finding a 1981 ("facelifted")-1987 with a straight-6, since people say those engines are built like a tank. Luckily, I am looking for one just for a workhorse (one that I would take good care of, of course). I am more than open to other suggestions other than the straight-6; I mainly want dependability in a truck on the big things.

Again, I really want a source to learn more other than wikipedia; also, just reply to this thread if you have any information that can help me (little important tidbits about the c/k10, etc). Thanks, guys!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
First issue will be rust, sense you have not indicated your state, rust will make or break a deal, bottom of doors , rocker panels, fenders, chassis, radiator supports, bottom of A-pillars, so on, ( rusted out trucks start getting expensive to fix )then if the indicators are little or no rust, look for messy wiring under the hood ( hack jobs) you will always be at the mercy of ( buyer beware ) running condition, does it start easily..? Miss..? run rough ..? drive it...! steer straight, any noises upon braking? stops in a straight line? does it pull to one side...? transmission shift right (auto ), standard trans shift right? clutch good? any leaks...? Beware of fresh paint jobs in all the areas indicated for rust where they may have filled it bondo and shot paint over it...maybe this will help....good luck with your search, if you find a truck take lots of pics and post on here...we can help make a decision...anim_25

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

To answer your question, I live in southeastern NC near Wilmington.

If you don't mind, I have another (2) question(s):
Which engines/model years are the most reliable out of the 1981 (facelift) to 1987 years? Also, I have heard that often times, it isn't worth the grief to bother with 4wd trucks because they are "less reliable" (I personally dont think reliability would be significantly less than a 2wd, but I don't know since I don't have many life experiences under my belt since I am only 19).

Luckily, I have a older neighbor who has 2 of these c10s ('84 and an '86) and he is pretty knowledgeable about how to take care of these trucks.

Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Reliability only comes with the owner, its not the vehicle, it could be two or four wheel drive although it seems that 4x4 from the mid seventies have been extensively abused over the years, I would expect a complete overhaul of drive train in most cases on both 2 or 4 wheel drive. There was`t much change in any of the trucks from `81 to `87 pretty much identical, although the six cylinders engines had a integral exhaust manifold molded into the head which was plagued with cracking issues. any of the 305, 350, 454 V8 pretty much trouble free...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I was kinda 50/50 on whether to get a V8 or I6 and now I am leaning toward the V8s.

My neighbor found his more recent c10 (the '84) from a guy near here for $300 not running. Greg (my neighbor) brought a new battery and a couple other minor things and got the thing running...drove it off the guy's property and she is still running strong...

My plan is to keep looking on Craigslist and driving around the area looking for c/k10s that look like they aren't being driven. It will probably take me months to find one that isn't like $6000 or one that isn't un-salvagable.

I am an easy-going driver and try to take care of the car I have (a 1997 Taurus Wagon), especially for my age, so once I get one of these I'll make sure I will take care of her ;)

So I was doing a little research and found this "Vehicle Information Kit/Manual" for the 1984 c/k series. I wanted to see if anyone had found another one of these online that has clearer text (some of the words are "smeared") or of a similar year (1981 facelift-1987) or some other information document about the c10s. Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
1987 GMC wont start

i have 1987 GMC fuel injected i went to clean it out yesterday i drove it 10 ft my dad tells me to move it so i got to start it and turns over and turns over nothing so we spray some starter fluid in it start for 10 seconds and back fires we did that 5 to 6 times still nothing any advise?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
i have 1987 GMC fuel injected i went to clean it out yesterday i drove it 10 ft my dad tells me to move it so i got to start it and turns over and turns over nothing so we spray some starter fluid in it start for 10 seconds and back fires we did that 5 to 6 times still nothing any advise?
Are you getting 12 volts to the 10 guage ignition wire at the distributor cap? Try running a hot wire from battery terminal positive to the IGN side of the distributor cap, and try to fire it up, if it starts, then check IGN fuses, if good, start tracing that hot wire. Remember, if it starts, to shut it off, you'll have to disconnect the hot wire at the battery to distributor
cap. If all that is well then start testing the coil pack on the distributor, sometimes the coils get hot from bad connections and fail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts