Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone at C10 Trucks. I am a retired GM autoworker, having spent 30 years on the assembly lines building the S10 pickup in the 1980's, and then the Trailblazer, Envoy, etc. until our plant was unceremoniously shut down at the end of '08.

I had a '66 red longbed back in the 90's. All my buddies at work were of course driving new trucks, but to a man they would drool over my classic C10 out in the parking lot. One night I came out to discover a flat tire and 3-4 of them milling about to help me change it. In fact, they did it for me. I didn't have to lift a finger.

Unfortunately, 5 years later all that remained of my truck was six Oak planks and a pile of rust setting in my driveway. It went that fast. I moved on with an '89 Silverado for the next 15 years and purchased an '01 Silverado extended cab last year.

I never could get that old truck out of my mind or heart for that matter, and have decided to sell my beloved '04 Cooper S and move back into a truck.

Problem is I can't find the one I want. I have scoured the web most of the summer, each time going deeper and deeper into the search results - all to no avail. Came close on two occasions, but somebody always seemed to beat me to the draw.

That is why I am pleading for your help at this time. My heart is set on the following:

A 63-66 Chevy SWB fleetside 2-wheel drive in black. Auto with air would be great, as would a tan or off-white interior. I realize I will have to compromise on some of the details and spend some money getting her just the way I want. And that is fine. Might settle on the Brentwood green and white variant as well, depending on the condition of the truck.

Also, as wide as my search is, I cannot reasonably expect to inspect the vehicle before shipping it home. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks for reading this post. I look forward to making as many new friends as possible. After all, that's what we were all put here for.

RBI 2112

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
sign0016 to C10 Trucks You seem to know exactly what you want. It sounds like a great ride anim_25 in your search. Hope you find it. Have fun and enjoy

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
California

Ironic you should say that. I just got back from my first-ever trip to California. Ten fun-filled days visiting my daughter and husband who moved to San Clemente last fall.

I would love to lay my hands on a west coast truck as it is almost a given they will be pretty much rust free. By all means post some CL ads. I appreciate all the help I can get.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
RB welcome to C10 Trucks.Although I have a 78,I too am partial to those same year models.Spent 2 years looking for one prior to ordering my 78,but the ones I ran across ,the owners were nuts with way over values.I found out that 78 was the last year for leaded fuel and hd emissions ,so I ordered
what I wanted for the same as a beat up,rusted out 63-66.Good luck in your hunt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where's the rust?

As I surf all the online ads, most every truck looks to be in good shape, but I know many are probably hiding rust somewhere.

My question is this: What locations on the C10 body are most prone to rust? Where should I look first? I have my eye on a '66 model right now and would like to request pictures of certain areas.

Where would you guys look first?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
As Charlie said plus the windshield visor, area just above the windshield/rain gutter..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Found Her . . . (I hope)

Just before signing off the web one night last month decided to give EBay another look. Was very tired, not just from working all day but never finding the truck I knew was out there.

Then *Poof* there it was. In California of all places. A section of Los Angeles called Beverly Hills. A black '66 SWB fleetside with auto and air asking $15,500.

Unfortunately, the pictures looked like they were taken with an old Polaroid. Seems these two young brothers just out of high school or whatever, decided they wanted a car to hot rod and ended up with this truck. They didn't have a clue as to what they were getting into and it spent most of the next two years setting in the garage next to their Porsches and stuff. After all, this is the 90210 area code. Gywnteh Paltrow lives right down the street on Wilshire.

Mom and dad wanted it gone and when I came across the ad it had only been up three hours. Asked them lots of questions but got very few answers. They said it was loud but could not tell me whether it had mufflers or not.

Eventually decided to roll the dice, offering $12,500 before settling at $14,000 dollars.

It took ten days but it finally arrived in my neck of the woods about a week ago. The paint finish was in great shape, save for a few scratches and a small dent at the right front bumper. The engine bay was dark and dingy, needing a lot of work. They told me the motor may be out of a '75 Corvette but will have to reference the VIN # to confirm that. It is a 350 but the AC is inop, probably due to a leak. The valve covers were very rusty.

The interior is a a mess. All black from top to bottom. No radio, the ashtray is gone, replaced by a really cheesy wooden block and the steering wheel is different, sticking out so far it almost pokes me in the chest.

The test drive was a nightmare, to be honest. It drove like a boat and the brakes felt like they belonged on an antique tractor. Really. Non-power assist with drums all around. I'm getting pretty bummed at this point. Its going to cost some bucks to get this truck to where it needs to be.

Don't they call that a project truck?

I was seriously considering just trying to sell it and move on at this point. Especially after driving the Cooper back home. Supercharged with a six-speed, pinpoint steering and a great stereo. Why am I selling this and moving into that?

Went back a week later and got under the truck. It is really clean without hardly any rust at all. The brakes have to be the first order of business.

Would like to get 4-whl disc with power assist. Can anyone recommend a supplier or thread?

Was going to upload a photo in jpeg, but my pics are measured in megabytes and I have not yet figured out how to make the file smaller. Might need some help on that.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=85 LMC plus a few others sell disc brake kits, I`m assuming your not lowering it...? There are kits for both four wheel disc and two wheel disc, standard disc and custom ( larger with all the bells and whistles) , be advised that you cannot use stock early wheels with any of the disc brakes. also you will have to decide if your going six lug or five lug..this is where the madness starts...!
Here`s Cpp site one of the advertised vendors with a full front/rear disc kit
http://www.classicperform.com/Chevy-Truck.htm#2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More questions

Hey, thanks! I'll check it out. I will probably give very serious consideration to going with 4-wheel disc brakes. Some of the kits out there are wildly expensive though. Am definitely going to five lug and keeping the height where it is.

How big a Pandora's box am I opening?

Also, I found the battery installed just in front of the right/rear wheel. Who would do something like that? Where is the logic in putting the battery down where it's guaranteed to get soaking wet? Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It looks like that is how it came from the factory. What gives?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
A lot of DIY`s or builders move them there to clean up the engine bay.. Pandora`s box ...? funny you should ask...changing to 5 lug you`ll need to change the axles, they do sell them or if you change complete rear axle to `68 to `70 with 5 lug ( same width) you`ll have to mod the rear track bar...you can keep the 6 lug and run the gm 6 lug 4x4 rallys as seen on mine...oh one other thing to consider when ordering disc brakes for the front, they sell modular and standard, difference being the modular only moves the front track width out 1/4 inch per side the standard 3/4 inch per side..makes a difference if your runing wider rims.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts