Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of dismantling the front end of my 62 C10 that has been in my family since it left the showroom in 1962. I am planning on keeping the suspension stock, meaning keeping the torsion bars.

The arms and A arms are rusted stuck on the bars. If I can't get the bars free, are there any replacement parts for torsion bars? Or is there a late model truck with arms and bars that will swap in?

It's important to me that I keep bars in the front, partially because it's not very common. Any advice will be very appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Get yourself a cheap spray bottle, mix some automatic trans fluid and mineral spirits 50/50, use it liberally and several times over a week, this is probably the best penetrant by far...but it will take time.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
If the trany fluid and mineral spirits dosn't work there is a product I use here ALL the time but its not cheap. its called Kroil You can get it in spray or bulk I use it for everything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I do get the bars free from the arms, is there a way to test them at home? And if the bars are bad, how can I replace them with new bars?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
406rich, gladly nothing on my C10 is rusted as bad as in that video, still it looks like a good way to remove a stuck bar. The only thing I would worry about is if the hard impacts would damage the spring steel of the torsion bar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spring steel is hard enough that you wouldn't be able to dent or chip it easily, I'm more worried about killing the spring rate.

I race a sprint car that has four torsion bars. When a bar is involved in multiple hard crashes there is a chance that the spring rate could be killed; especially if it is over rotated.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I looked for a couple hours yesterday, did not find anyone selling torsion bars as of yet...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
406Rich, thank you for searching for bars, I appreciate that.

I was thinking when I get the bars cleaned I will see if there is any kind of part identification. If there is, I'll check with an auto parts store or Chevy dealership to see if they can get bars that are similar from a late model Chevy or GMC.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
406Rich, thank you for searching for bars, I appreciate that.

I was thinking when I get the bars cleaned I will see if there is any kind of part identification. If there is, I'll check with an auto parts store or Chevy dealership to see if they can get bars that are similar from a late model Chevy or GMC.
Mopar used them in late fifties to nineties, maybe they are same size, and I do know they sell them for the mopar crowd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would prefer to use GM parts or parts made for GM vehicles, but if I can't get the right part I'll have to look somewhere else. And I know Mopar makes good quality parts, so that may be the direction I go. {Though Chevy and GM purists might have a problem with a Mopar part on a Chevy}

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I would prefer to use GM parts or parts made for GM vehicles, but if I can't get the right part I'll have to look somewhere else. And I know Mopar makes good quality parts, so that may be the direction I go. {Though Chevy and GM purists might have a problem with a Mopar part on a Chevy}
Thou I`m not sure on this info, read it on the web, Mopar sued GM for using the torsion bar design on the Chevy trucks is why they quit using it, so maybe it was a generic part in the sixties....i don`t know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with finding a source for new torsion bars or identifying a MOPAR part number that is compatible? I set of performance bars from Hotchkis would be amazing!

Dave

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Dave on the back end of the Mopar torsion bars is a number stamped in for the strength of the bar, not sure if GM had the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone interested in a 62 C10 front clip
New but surface rusted ball joints and rotors
New still in box calipers
With 2 inch drop spindles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts