Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My name is Adam and i just layed down some cash for a 1962 c10 fleetside longbed. its compete minus the motor. it has the 4 speed trans and the original bed wood floor.

I admit I know nothing about these trucks. I'm 26 and have always admired these body styles but knew if i didn't jump on this deal i would regret it.

The truck is complete the only things i can tell that it is missing are the window cranks. which i feel are easy to replace with aftermarket. it has some slight body damage to the passenger side and the windshield has 2 vertical cracks. i think its missing the c10 badges also. the owner told me i need to find a 1980s or older 350 to bolt to the 4 speed trans. (I have one already!!!) Also the Vin doesnt quite decode... i can give the vin later if you need

so I joined this forum so that I can get advice, history and maybe share some horror stories of similar rebuilds and learn about this truck!!! so hit me with it! the good bad and ugly!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Adam, we'll help in any way we can, first off the 60 to 62 windshields are tough to find so start looking now....when you replace the window crank handles the repo parts donot fit as well as the originals but will work, to make them fit better use aluminum foil placed over the splines then push the new hsndle over that, when you get time to post pics get one of the radiator, do you know if this truck was originally a V8 or a six....? Note forgot to add, look at the splines on the window cranks carefully if they are stripped you`ll need to replace the unit.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome...

How about some photo's? Pictures make it real.

For parts, I'd recommend trying to find used parts, they nearly always fit better than replacements (you mentioned window handles... aftermarket handles don't fit well, as Rich discusses above).

If you buy replacement parts I'd suggest Classic Parts of America, here's a link for ya: http://www.classicparts.com/

I avoid LMC... if you use them be sure to comparative shop... they tend to have a very high mark up on certain parts, such as suspension pieces. Ask here before you buy parts and we can steer you in the right direction.

As for decoding your trucks VIN, try this http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.html#factorycode :

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the fast and quality replies!! Pics included!!!

Here are few of the photos I took when looking at the truck. when i get it moved and cleaned up a little ill update photos..

one door had splines (not stripped) the other door had what I'm assuming a bolt system like a keeper bolt??

i do believe im missing the chrome and emblems but not sure if that is trim package or not...

Vin included in photos
the vin decoder that "lakeroadster" added was a great help!!! most online one are crap I've found!

2C154L120104

2=1962
C=2WD
15= half ton long wheel base (127")
4=Truck
L= Built in LA
120104= Production number...?

My future father in law is in the glass industry.. he quoted the windshield at $390 his costs... Like i told him "i guess ill try saran wrap and then spray enamel it lol"

Tell me all you can about the truck from what you can see in the photos, goo bad ugly, and share your own c10s? to be honest i was a bit disappointed the paint was so clean. i was hoping for a bit more patina lol

i have no idea what this truck is worth or could be worth. i feel i got a pretty good deal but idk... I just know i never plan to sell it!

(FYI: i grew up surrounded by trucks and cars rotting in others yards, i decided right then and there if i got one it would be a daily driver or at least a weekend show vehicle)

I want to thank those that have taken to time to talk to me about my new truck!
lakeroadster
406Rich
cffisher

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
That's what we do...LOL... we sit and stare at the screen till some one asks a question we can help with....And in a little while you will be the same way. anim_25 with your build and YES post more pictures.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Nice truck to start with, hope you reach your goals with it....we`ll be waiting for more pics...beer

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep, looks like you have a good start there. Appears solid from the photo's. I'm a big fan of the 60-63 knee knocker cab's.

1962 Chevrolet Truck History.... check this site out: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1962-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Q&A time.... anim_63

• What are your plan's for the truck?
  • Are the floors and rockers solid?
  • What about the bed, still sportin' it's original wood flooring?
  • Sooo.. what's your first name?

_____
John bowtieb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are your plan's for the truck?

I'm really not sure what my plans are yet i need some inspiration!!, I was hoping before i saw the truck that it would be in worst shape for paint. so i could clear over the natural patina. but oh well lol!!! I really dont know yet. i like to keep my projects original looking to conserve the history. i also like the way the lowered ones look but i doubt ill slam it. depending on its natural stance I may even raise is a few inches. This wont be a trailer queen.

Are the floors and rockers solid?
the floors and rockers are the first thing I checked. (Built in Ca and lived its whole life in Arizona i was expecting it to be good!) It was, I've got a little surface rust near the passenger side rocker and a little by the core-support.

What about the bed, still sportin' it's original wood flooring?

YESYESYES!! all original wood in GREAT condition!! i think ill take each piece out and clean them up maybe sand them down and re varnish them. they have a really pretty color!

Sooo.. what's your first name?
My name is Adam!

Some Questions for the Community!!!

what size motor was the best for these trucks/size?
will the 350 that came with it be a great match if i install? I'm Motor blind... lol
what are your favorites colors or things that others have done to these trucks?
where can i get a windshield?(i already ordered a LMC mag.) $390 is my best quote locally... ouch lol

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Adam the 350 is chevy`s belly button motor everybody has one, but parts are plentiful, prices are right, lot of performance parts out there, torque values on the 350 are spot on for the weight of the truck. As far as the color its all personal choice, no one favorite color. The windshield is kinda of a crap shoot, had a rock come thru mine (`64 ) after my truck was done called safelite they came out and replaced it there on the driveway it was $280.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Adam,

Sounds like you did good picking out your truck there young man.

Be sure to have the 350 checked out by a pro... you might find it isn't even a 350 and or it isn't cost effective to use! Here's a link that will help you with identification of the motor: http://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

I'm a big fan of the straight 6 motors that were used in these trucks.... but parts & rebuilds are not as cost effective today... the 350 is probably your best bet.

Turquoise and white is an awesome color combo for a stock or resto rodded C10, re-sale red is popular, my favorite is orange and white.

Windshield... Call some local glass shops, then go scope them out before making any decisions... you might be surprised and get one installed from them easy peazy.

______
John bowtieb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.