Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got this 65 c10 shortbed step side Sunday. Been working on the wiring the last 2 days. Tail, brake and blinkers weren’t working. Finally got all that fixed, pulled out to the curb for pictures for the insurance and now it won’t start....

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
wiring can be a pain I've found that it is best to replace all of it rather than try to patch it Good luck with new project

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Looks pretty straight, the cab fillers are still there right in front of the steps, good, usually they are gone, six or V8...? what trans...?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It’s got a 350 with a Edelbrock 4 barrel carb .... with a 3 speed.

Now it’s stuck in reverse . This is turning into a nightmare in a hurry. I guess we’re just getting acquainted.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
GM's column shifter is a nightmare when new AND when worn. There are bushings that can be replaced on the shifter linkage 2 on top by column and by the trans. they are cheap and may help. When it hangs up it is better to free it up under the hood by firewall. Personally I would add a floor shifter but that just me.
anim_25

another tip change your master cylinder to a dual bowl.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip. It has a floor shift. Don’t know if it’s a good one or not.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
some of them had a alignment hole you could put a 1/4" drill bit into it and adjust the rods for nuteral If there is a name on it Google it and see what it says

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Brush, you any where near San Jose....? Interested in a overdrive...?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to far away. I’m in Turlock in the Central Valley. I could be but I got to get it running first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Burnt

When I turned over the fuse box this is what I found.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the fuse box and where I might get a new one? I don’t think this is the reason why it won’t start. I drove over 50 miles before the starting problem. I could be wrong.....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Ecklers, Classic parts, or LMC one of the three sells just the fuse block, there`s links on the side of the page.....
Brush you have a pm

·
Registered
108 Posts
'60-'66 Chevy Trucks - Wiring Diagrams

--

I had that exact issue happen to me after an electrical meltdown... had to get creative with the soldering iron and connectors... :D

You may to check under the dash and in the engine compartment for any exposed wires that may have made contact as well.

In my case it was a wire under the dash was loose, made contact... sparks went everywhere... and I didn't know about the behind the panel issue for awhile as I kept having issues and chasing things all over.

I sent you a PM, there are a lot of options for wiring harnesses to choose from.

-Woog

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
'60-'66 Chevy Trucks - Wiring Diagrams

--

I had that exact issue happen to me after an electrical meltdown... had to get creative with the soldering iron and connectors... :D

You may to check under the dash and in the engine compartment for any exposed wires that may have made contact as well.

In my case it was a wire under the dash was loose, made contact... sparks went everywhere... and I didn't know about the behind the panel issue for awhile as I kept having issues and chasing things all over.

I sent you a PM, there are a lot of options for wiring harnesses to choose from.

-Woog
Thanks for the advise. Ive been all over the engine compartment and under the dash for several days and I didn’t find any bad wires. So I thought I’d check the fuse box. That’s when I found this problem. I took it out and soaked it in a solution of 50/50 water and vinager. It came out pretty clean. Next week I will reinstall it and see if that helps.. At least I drew a wiring diagram through all this..beer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s running

This thing has an ignition switch then you flip a toggle switch then push a push button to start it. After a week of searching I found out I was flipping the toggle switch the wrong way.. feel kind of dumb but the good thing about it is if not for that problem I would not have found the fuse box issue and a few other connections that weren’t connected very well. All worked out ok.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thats great the start issues are fixed...! beer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Door check and door dent fix

I got it running pretty good now. Added a 1 wire alternator so now I don’t have to remember to disconnect my battery every time I turn it off.

Added a new door check

Since the door check was missing the door had 2 dents. I didn’t take a before picture but I’m sure you know what I’m talking about and have seen them before. I repaired the dents.

On to the next issuefahne19

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
We used to call them smiles from broken door checks...by the way if you ever need more the 1984 to 2001 jeep cherokee XJ rear door checks are a direct replacement...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We used to call them smiles from broken door checks...by the way if you ever need more the 1984 to 2001 jeep cherokee XJ rear door checks are a direct replacement...
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More up grades

This truck had a bad oil leak from the pan. The guy I got the truck from gave me a new pan and pan one piece gasket with the truck. I installed all that yesterday and solved the oil leaking issue. I also installed a 6 blade fan in place of the 4 blade fan that was on it....

Now to figure out how to mount that fan shroud..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts