Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I am the new owner of a 1979 K10 SWB. I am the SECOND owner of this vehicle! I have been working on closing the deal for about a week and finally got the vehicle and title in my hands tonight so I feel safe talking about it now!

I have been looking for a 56-59 or 64-66 SWB but hadn't found anything that I liked for the right money. This 79 appeared a few weeks ago and I was able to do some swapping for it so I am happy.

The truck has many nice options, like 350/350, A/C, PS, PB, Sliding rear window, Silverado setup, 2.76 rear axle, locking diff, engine oil cooler, Ralley wheels, chrome front bumper, and chromed rear step bumper.

It appears the truck is all original except for the engine and transmission being overhauled around 1999. It came with a large folder of paperwork including the original window sticker and the original paperwork when it was sold to the first owner.

The only rust I have found is one spot behind the drivers side rear wheel and the inner fenderwell under the battery, both of which are easy fixes.

The truck drives good, the 350/350 is strong and most of the stuff like brakes, bearings, plugs, plug wires and etc have all been replaced recently. Not sure exactly what I will end up doing to the truck but the first thing is go through the suspension and other items to make it a safe comfortable driver. After that I will start working on interior/paint or may do a frame off restoration.

I will shoot some photos within the next couple of days and post them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow, sounds like a really clean one owner truck. Congratulations on the purchase and sign0016 to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Silverado.

John

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Yes Welcome to c10trucks sign0016 Pictures would be great. It dose sound like a great truck. anim_25 with your restoration

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here are some of the photos that I copied from the Craigs List ad. I will try to shoot some better photos within the next week or so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 79 K10, that I purchased had 179,965 miles on it when I took delivery, verified by the previous owner who is the first owner! The engine was replaced @ 172,514 miles which was 9/8/1999 and the 350 transmission was overhauled on 1/10/2000 @ 174,149 miles. So, the engine and tranny don't have many miles on them but they have 14-15 years of very low usage! The truck has not been on the road since early 2000 but was used around the PO's property every few days so the engine and tranny did have some use.

I got a state inspection on the truck. The last inspection sticker was dated 04/2000, so it hasn't been on the road (legally) since 2000!!! After getting the state inspection sticker, I gunked and power washed the engine and underhood. Cleaned up fairly good but needs another gunk and powerwash.

A few days ago, I spent some time doing general cleanup of the interior. I pulled the carpet back to fully check the floors. The passenger side does have some rust but only found 4 pin holes. I wire wheeled the top side of the floor and sprayed some rustoleum on it just to retard any additional rust. When I pull the interior to replace it I will properly clean and treat the metal with POR-15. The drivers side was almost as clean as the day the truck was made. No rust, just shiny paint and some dirt.

I 409ed the interior, cleaned the gauges, lense over the gauges and got the A/C fan blowing. The fan switch needed cleaned. A/C compressor does not come on, but jumpered the low pressure switch and clutch engaged and the compressor sounds good. I purchased the parts and supplies yesterday to convert th A/C to R134A and get it running as that is the next priority.

Cleaned the door frames, door jams, lock mechs, behind and under the seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front Springs

I ordered new front springs and bushings on the 15th and they are due to arrive on Tuesday the 19th. The original front springs are so worn out they are arched the wrong direction :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R12-R134a Conversion

Today I pulled all the A/C hoses and flushed the system getting it ready to upgrade from R12 to R134A. During the process I decided to replace all the A/C hoses so I will order new ones on Monday. I already have all the green o'rings, new accumulator, adapter tube and R12-R134a adapters. Hopefully I will have all the needed parts by Weds so I can put it all back together and have AIR CONDITIONING for this 100 degree plus Texas summer :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New front seat cover

Last week I contacted a local upholstery company to get a price to rebuild the front seat foam and recover the seat in a high grade vinyl/naugahyde. I have had this company do work for me before, they are just a mom/pop shop and are normally 6 weeks behind. Quote was $400.00 including a roll/pleated complete rebuild of the seat and they are 6 weeks behind so it will be the end of September before she is ready for the K10 seat :-(

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
That sounds like a good price to me....!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This week I pulled the A/C hoses, accumulator, evaporator valve, and the compressor. I flushed the evaporator and condensor. Thursday I installed the new hoses, accumiulator and evaporator valve. Friday I picked up a rebuilt compressor. Today I installed the compressor, finished up the installation and had the A/C serviced. I now have COLD air!!!!

If you are looking for a rebuilt compressor try http://www.coolairpart.com/. I got a rebuilt one for $109.00 and picked it up at their local store in Arlington, Tx. Just a warning... the website looks like a big company, but they rebuild them in Fort Worth, and sell them in Arlington out of a very small store front. So, if you pickup in person, don't be surprised at the location :) Autozone wanted $319, O'reilly's price was $269 so $109 was a GREAT price!!

As for the rest of the parts, I was able to get those from http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/. They are on the south side of Fort Worth, Tx. Old Air Parts are well known for their add on A/C systems for hot rods and classic cars, but they also had the original looking accumulator for my 79 where Autozone and Napa only had a generic one that did not look original. Old Air also had better prices on the hoses and they had both of them in stock!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hello Texnet and welcome to the site.Sweet deal on the K model and yes we really need cold air here in Texas.Just for info,they now make a direct replacement for the 40 pound A6 in aluminum,save about 30 pounds.Here the A6 goes for about 120 and the aluminum one for about 300.Should mine crater I might try the new style.
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info... I am aware of the "upgraded compressor" but I want to keep this vehicle as stock as possible so the A6 was the best choice for me.
Hello Texnet and welcome to the site.Sweet deal on the K model and yes we really need cold air here in Texas.Just for info,they now make a direct replacement for the 40 pound A6 in aluminum,save about 30 pounds.Here the A6 goes for about 120 and the aluminum one for about 300.Should mine crater I might try the new style.
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has been a few weeks since I posted so need to bring my build up-to-date.

Finished rebuilding the A/C and now have COLD air!

I replaced the old 2 leaf front springs with HD 3 leaf springs. The ride is a little rougher but it now sits better in the front.

The P.O. had replaced the driveline u-joints but had not replaced the front axle u-joints and the passenger side was flat worn out! So, yesterday pulled both axle's and started the rebuild process. Got most of the parts cleaned up, u-joints replaced in both axles, and picked up the seals and spindle rebuild kit. Tomorrow I will get everything back together and the CLUNK on the drivers side axle will be GONE!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a couple days delay on getting everything back together. First problem was removing the spindle inner bearings! I purchased a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight and modified it to pull the bearings, which worked great! Second issue was the passenger side backing plate's dust shield had only one spot weld holding it on while it is suppose to have 6. It looked like the other 5 had never been welded, so took it to a welding shop and got it back late yesterday. Today, I finished putting it all back together, NO MORE CLANK!! When replacing the 35 year old front brake hoses I noticed the brake fluid was a rust color, so tomorrow I will flush the brake system, replace the master cylinder, rebuild the calipers, and replace the rear brake cylinders. This should last another 35 years :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today I finished up the front axle repair. I replaced the front calipers and master cylinder. I had purchased repair kits for the calipers but when I got the first one apart I found that there was a lot of pitting in the cylinder so I decided to just replace them. I also purchased rear brake cylinders but decided to save that for another day! Truck now drives good and stops good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Front spring update

It has been a few months since I updated my progress on the 79 K10.

I took some parts to sell at the Grand Prairie, Tx swap meet the end of September. It is about 75 miles from my home to the swap fest and this is the greatest distance I have driven the K10 since installing the new 3 leaf front springs. About 1/2 way over I figured I had made a big mistake and started to come back home but decided to continue the trip. The 3 leaf springs were way too rough for me, so when I got back home I took the original 2 leaf springs to a spring shop in Fort Worth and had them re-arched. With those back in the truck it drives MUCH better and a softer ride!!! I "misunderstood" the shop owner on the cost of re-arch, at least that is what he said... I don't think I misunderstood, but I will never have springs re-arched by that shop every again!! I could have purchased 4 new 2 leaf springs for the price he charged me to re-arch 2 springs. Anyway, that is behind me and I am happy with the ride. I know have 2 3 leaf springs that will be for sale at the January swap meet in Grand Prairie!! They only have about 200 miles on them. Great springs if you want a 2 inch lift and can live with the ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts