Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 GMC Caballero
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm John from Cedar Rapids Iowa. D.O.B. April 25th 1971.
I've never been much interested in forums but I think I hit a jackpot here.
I grew up farming all through the '70s, '80s & early '90s. Dad was an excellent farmer and businessman caring for around 1000 acres plus a usual 60 to 80 cattle, running all John Deere, Chevrolet and GMC his operation was very profitable through the 70s and his skills really shined out through a term as regional chairman of the American Angus Association. I'm the youngest of four, two Sisters Michelle, Julie and my Brother Mark, Mark was a hot rod crazy in high school and I followed suit he owned five '57 Chevies in those days and the one in the best condition had original paint, a pastel pink. He was/still is a master engine tuner, in his high school days other wanna be hot rod guys hunted him down to race that pink '57 sporting fancy high dollar race components horribly ill tuned. Sporting a little 283 all stock Chevrolet high performance parts except a Holley 600 vac 2nd, Hooker headers, all Accel ignition point type of course, Zoom racing clutch, Muncie M21 and Hurst competition + shifter and Stewart Warner oil psi & water temp. Tachs were expensive, novelty actually since we shift by ear, he did aquire a Sun 8k unit, entertaining watching that little red needle "disappear" a later upgrade to a 10k unit revealed the little red needle still "disappears". Tuned to the fractions of its life Mark's 283 could screem over 10k rpm all day.
A couple summer evening races he couldn't- do? When the flag dropped his out of town "competitors" machine fell on its face, Mark spun around to make sure dude was ok dude had his hood up with a wrench & screwdriver Mark asked "dude you ok? Ya need help?"
Dude with his back to us replies "-×ck off" then out came one of Mark's best "dude you sure park funny, hey! Next time bring your Moms car she's faster!
I was seven then learning it all I memorized the firing order and still enjoy learning more.
My first car in high school was a '66 Chevelle everything I set up exactly like Mark's machine except I ran a 350 with 11:1 compression.
After farming I started injection molding mfg. for 25 years, I have two daughters one is in college, I divorced but starting over, I bought a house & property with my fiance along with a newer two car garage very slick, its heated and air conditioned even an upstairs loft, and to fix a raging mid life crisis I bought a classic '86 GMC Caballero.
Newer crate 305 & new 200 4r, paint & tires southern car no rust, the kicker is the previous owner ripped out all emissions garbage. It still has its shiny ECM in it, the thousand or so wires are in pristine condition! They are about a foot long chopped off a mile of electric tape thank u Lord Father.
& that is how I grace you all today, many have bagged on the 305, take 500 lbs (emissions control) off a pack horse and watch what happens, come on Spring let's go!!

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
937 Posts
Welcome from Washington state. Quite the introduction..

·
Registered
77 Chevy C10
66 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm John from Cedar Rapids Iowa.
I've never been much interested in forums but I think I hit a jackpot here.
I grew up farming all through the '70s, '80s & early '90s. Dad was an excellent farmer and businessman caring for around 1000 acres plus a usual 60 to 80 cattle, running all John Deere, Chevrolet and GMC his operation was very profitable through the 70s and his skills really shined out through a term as regional chairman of the American Angus Association. I'm the youngest of four, two Sisters Michelle, Julie and my Brother Mark, Mark was a hot rod crazy in high school and I followed suit he owned five '57 Chevies in those days and the one in the best condition had original paint, a pastel pink. He was/still is a master engine tuner, in his high school days other wanna be hot rod guys hunted him down to race that pink '57 sporting fancy high dollar race components horribly ill tuned. Sporting a little 283 all stock Chevrolet high performance parts except a Holley 600 vac 2nd, Hooker headers, all Accel ignition point type of course, Zoom racing clutch, Muncie M21 and Hurst competition + shifter and Stewart Warner oil psi & water temp. Tachs were expensive, novelty actually since we shift by ear, he did aquire a Sun 8k unit, entertaining watching that little red needle "disappear" a later upgrade to a 10k unit revealed the little red needle still "disappears". Tuned to the fractions of its life Mark's 283 could screem over 10k rpm all day.
A couple summer evening races he couldn't- do? When the flag dropped his out of town "competitors" machine fell on its face, Mark spun around to make sure dude was ok dude had his hood up with a wrench & screwdriver Mark asked "dude you ok? Ya need help?"
Dude with his back to us replies "-×ck off" then out came one of Mark's best "dude you sure park funny, hey! Next time bring your Moms car she's faster!
I was seven then learning it all I memorized the firing order and still enjoy learning more.
My first car in high school was a '66 Chevelle everything I set up exactly like Mark's machine except I ran a 350 with 11:1 compression.
After farming I started injection molding mfg. for 25 years, I have two daughters one is in college, I divorced but starting over, I bought a house & property with my fiance along with a newer two car garage very slick, its heated and air conditioned even an upstairs loft, and to fix a raging mid life crisis I bought a classic '86 GMC Caballero.
Newer crate 305 & new 200 4r, paint & tires southern car no rust, the kicker is the previous owner ripped out all emissions garbage. It still has its shiny ECM in it, the thousand or so wires are in pristine condition! They are about a foot long chopped off a mile of electric tape thank u Lord Father.
& that is how I grace you all today, many have bagged on the 305, take 500 lbs (emissions control) off a pack horse and watch what happens, come on Spring let's go!!
Welcome from GA, and one heck of a first post!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts