Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent about a year looking for a decent drill press, no off shore units and preferably an older US made Atlas, Craftsman, Walker Turner, Penncraft, Delta, Rockwell units that did not need a lot of work to bring it to running condition..ran across this Estatesale ad for one, course this was the second day of the sale before I found it and figured that it was gone before I could get there. I was wrong and it was still there, seller wanted $425, I anti up with $300 tops and he thought about it and took it...Its a Canedy-otto morse taper drill press, one of the light heavy weights, 1940 to 1945 is the build period, Chicago Ill, zero runout on the quill, runs whisper quiet 1/2 hp..a little cleanup of the original paint and clean up some of the moving parts I`m done for now, I will be looking for another drive pulley to better match the quill pulley..Just now noticed that the serial number at the end of it has an amendome stamp on it US with a boat anchor under it...US Navy designation...?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I`ve always had one of some form or another, the last five years was the cheap harbor freight bench top, got tired of egged out holes from the runout on the drill press so I started watching CL for an older Walker Turner, Delta, Rockwell, Atlas, South Bend, Craftsman, all made before 1970....took almost six months, as fast as they would appear thy were gone.....! anim_63

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spent about a year looking for a decent drill press, no off shore units and preferably an older US made Atlas, Craftsman, Walker Turner, Penncraft, Delta, Rockwell units that did not need a lot of work to bring it to running condition..ran across this Estatesale ad for one, course this was the second day of the sale before I found it and figured that it was gone before I could get there. I was wrong and it was still there, seller wanted $425, I anti up with $300 tops and he thought about it and took it...Its a Canedy-otto morse taper drill press, one of the light heavy weights, 1940 to 1945 is the build period, Chicago Ill, zero runout on the quill, runs whisper quiet 1/2 hp..a little cleanup of the original paint and clean up some of the moving parts I`m done for now, I will be looking for another drive pulley to better match the quill pulley..Just now noticed that the serial number at the end of it has an amendome stamp on it US with a boat anchor under it...US Navy designation...?
Things like that that would fit on a ship were given a Navy SN so they could keep track of it if they needed it, I have a old Electric motor with a Navy sn on it. This was shortly after WW2

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better pic of the serial number on it...It only has one coat of thick paint, I assuming the original naval coloring from the forties...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts