Hello from Tuscaloosa, AL (Roll Tide!!). Glad to be on here. I own a 1965 C10 1/2 ton. I had an issue the other day with my truck. My battery started smelling really bad and was venting out of the vent holes. I went to a parts house and the battery was at 18+ volts. I purchased an alternator. I installed the alternator, and the problem didn't go away. A friend of mine said it must be the voltage regulator that mounts to the core support, so I replaced it and this is where the problem gets really weird. After installing the regulator, my volt gauge read 13-14 volts, but my "generator" light now stays on and when I turn my lights on the motor dies. I tried and tried to figure this out but was unable to do so. A friend of mine came over and was looking and he unplugged the ground wire from the regulator and the generator light went out and the motor stays running after the headlights are turned on, but my volts go back to 18+ and the battery gets really hot. HELP!!! Thanks!!