Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Tuscaloosa, AL (Roll Tide!!). Glad to be on here. I own a 1965 C10 1/2 ton. I had an issue the other day with my truck. My battery started smelling really bad and was venting out of the vent holes. I went to a parts house and the battery was at 18+ volts. I purchased an alternator. I installed the alternator, and the problem didn't go away. A friend of mine said it must be the voltage regulator that mounts to the core support, so I replaced it and this is where the problem gets really weird. After installing the regulator, my volt gauge read 13-14 volts, but my "generator" light now stays on and when I turn my lights on the motor dies. I tried and tried to figure this out but was unable to do so. A friend of mine came over and was looking and he unplugged the ground wire from the regulator and the generator light went out and the motor stays running after the headlights are turned on, but my volts go back to 18+ and the battery gets really hot. HELP!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Josh 1973 First off sign0016 To C10 trucks After replacing the gen. did you polarize the gen.? After replacing the regulator did you polarize the system when replacing either you should polarize the system. It is really an easy step but one that has to be done. It sounds like the regulator was the problem

take a short piece of wire and briefly bridge between the BAT and GEN terminals on the regulator. This means only for a fraction of a second. If you see a spark, this is normal.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Josh..as Charlie said...!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome Josh,glad to have you here.Charlie is right about the polarizing.and also check grounds between body frame and engine.Its been so long I had completely forgot about the polarizing thing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts