Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

Generally haven't been a Chevy person, but recently had this 1962 C10 Custom long bed drop in my lap for too good of a deal to pass up. It definitely needs work, but having grown up in the Northeast, the fact that its not literally a pile of rust is a surprising thing. still has what I believe is typical fender and cab corner rust but seems solid enough.

One of its previous owners at some point removed the 235 I6 and has from what I've been told, a 350 in it. Its still mated to the original 3 on the tree transmission as best I can tell as well. It is however missing a bunch of parts (distributor, steering box and who knows what else). Not 100% sure what we are going to do with it yet, but definitely will be looking for information, parts and guidance.

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
937 Posts
Welcome from Washington state. Wow that thing looks pretty straight for its age

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is for the OP (shadowplane67)
Great find. I/we have family in Harrah,OK, whats your zip code or where do you hang your hat.

·
Registered
446 Posts
? jwko haven't a clue as to what/who your answering to?

Reactions: jwko

·
Registered
1963 c10 Fleetside Long Bed 327 Powerglide
10 Posts
To the OP: I was taking a closer look at your posted pictures and was amazed at how un-molested it is. It looks like it still has the original radio in the dash. Also, just for your information, I'm pretty sure yours is a '62. The fender emblems and grill are what came on a '62. No matter what year it is, that thing looks like a really good one to start with. Having to re-do some previous owners butchery takes a lot of the fun out of it. You didn't answer MJGORD51's question. Where in Oklahoma are you? I am in western OK, about halfway between OKC and the Texas panhandle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Still figuring out what the truck has/is...

Good find. This swap meet usually has a couple of vendors that specialize in C10 stuff. It has always been worth the trip for me.
Thanks! I'll have to check it out sometime.

Welcome from Washington state. Wow that thing looks pretty straight for its age
Yeah, Part of the reason I jumped on it despite not normally being a chevy person. Looks like it does have some cab mount, cab corner and door rust, but panels appear to be readily available.

This is for the OP (shadowplane67)
Great find. I/we have family in Harrah,OK, whats your zip code or where do you hang your hat.
Just south of Tulsa in Okmulgee county. (starts singing "its a small world after all..")

To the OP: I was taking a closer look at your posted pictures and was amazed at how un-molested it is. It looks like it still has the original radio in the dash. Also, just for your information, I'm pretty sure yours is a '62. The fender emblems and grill are what came on a '62. No matter what year it is, that thing looks like a really good one to start with. Having to re-do some previous owners butchery takes a lot of the fun out of it. You didn't answer MJGORD51's question. Where in Oklahoma are you? I am in western OK, about halfway between OKC and the Texas panhandle.
See above :) Tulsa area. As for the truck, my additional research backs up that it is a '62. Still trying to piece together what I have and what way to go as its essentially inheriting someone else's project. I havent been able to identify the transmission and if it can handle the 350, same with the rear end.

From what I can decipher, the engine is a TBI 350 truck engine with 193 heads and appears to possibly have been rebuilt at some point (stamped markings on passenger front block pad are either not legible or not present from decking).

Trans and rear end are indeterminate as I am lacking knowledge to identify them.

Lastly, since the TBI motor is a carb conversion without a distributor, I am a bit lost on what distributor i can/should use for this setup. I have seen options from $60 to $200+. I believe a standard mechanical/vacuum advance distributor would be fine for this setup?

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
937 Posts
If you have the correct block number and you were saying TBI motor...
it looks like it starts with 102...there's only 2 options(from my quick search) with that starting number...a 350 and a 305.

Font Parallel Pattern Number

·
Super Moderator
937 Posts
Hard to tell, but looks like 10 bolts or is it 12 bolt in that rear end? Found this thread from another forum. Has some great info on 12 bolt. Also note where the ID codes are..
See post #4

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with Dave, what I see is engine #10243880 that specs out to 95-99 350 boat/truck 1 pc.main seal 2 or 4 bolt main caps. Head #'s spec out to 87-99 350 swirl port truck 1.94/1.5 65cc's. Now with all of these facts from Dave and myself you need to look at the Date Code that will tell you the year of the block. Oh one more thing I see a 10 bolt rear end so with that rear end Don't put much go fast engine speed equipment to the motor unless you ditch that "Limpy" 10 bolt for a 12 bolt!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Font

Reactions: Dave S
1 - 17 of 17 Posts