Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just joined to find out more about these cool old trucks. Always wanted a older muscle car/truck. Im in the process of building/semi-resto a 1970 vw bug. Other day a cool '66 c10 long bed sort of fell in to my lap. Going to check it out on thurs. Has rebuilt straight six, 4 speed, and most of body work done. Looks pretty good from pics. Anything I should look out for in partticular? Thanks in advance for any advice.
John

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum John, the mid sixties trucks particularly in the rust belt, areas to look at carefully are the lower rockers, floorboards at the kick panel side, lower floor board seam, lower rear portion of front fenders, front lower edge of hood, and lastly the windshield upper valance and roof, you can get patch panels for pretty much all of it except for the roof and windshield valance, if those are rusted out you`ll need a donor cab or roof with posts from one….or walk away from it…so other than the usuall collision damage and or previous owner mods its pretty straight forward..if you have more questions just post and pics…….

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Guy who owns it is a friend/co-worker of mine. He sent me some pics Ill try and post. Not sure anything can be told from them, but it does look like the front hood area has been repaired and primed. It also looks like it was a camper special? The cut outs in the bed appear to be covered over as well.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hard to tell from your pics John, its had some work done around the windshield area, that is the spot you need to check very carefully, everything else they make patch panels for…how bad is the rust on the frame and drivetrain..?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll put up a few more pics from today. It wasn't as "clean" as I was expecting, but what is? It ran real well and drove good for a almost 50 year old vehicle. Everything works on it. There is definitely some body issues that need to be taken care of. Frame looks to be in stellar condition as well as drive train. Front floor pan is new and solid. There is some rust/previous repair in the bottom cab corners. Bottom of doors have some rust as well, along with some various spots around truck. Most concerning is some body support "arms", for lack of knowing their real name, that are rusting out. They are under the door areas and go from frame to edge of body. And a few areas where fenders meet doors(underneath). Pics coming.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
John I think it boils down to how much you are willing to do. I don't see anything major wrong and I believe most of the rusted parts are around to replace. Value?? These things are getting harder to find I'd say that has to be your call.anim_25

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
John are you going to do the work.. I don`t want to scare you out of the project, you`re looking at floor and cab mount replacement, rocker and lower rear corner cab replacement…..just so you know what you`re in for…you`re decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The floors were done and seem solid. The cab mounts I'm assuming are the rusted pieces that are in the pictures I posted? Can those be cut out and replaced with new? I will be attempting to do anything that it needs myself. I'm pretty good mechanically and have a welder.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for that. Pretty much everything is replaceable its just a lot of elbow grease. And of course ca$h. I guess I just need to decide if its worth $3k for me to grab it and fix it a bit at a time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts