Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've recently acquired a 1984 C10. Custom Deluxe 305 4 barrel quadrajet single tank - I know none of the history of the vehicle so a little in the dark and I also have 0 experience working on a carbureted engine other than my motorcycle. I'm used to electric pumps, fuel injection and returnless systems. We've determined the engine runs, but we haven't gotten fuel from the tank - along with other issues - if anyone would be willing to guide me in the right direction I would be very appreciative - and I can list the steps I've taken and what I've found.

First thing was to replace the ignition lock cylinder, so now I have key

Jumped off, cranks fine - won't run. There is a connector by the carb that isn't connected and perhaps broken - I am assuming it's electric choke... damn it

Trying mixes of starting fluid, propping the choke open a little determine it's not getting fuel to the carb. Let's try some gas? 5 gallons into the tank...

Still not running, fill a 20oz bottle of gasoline and stick rubber hose from inlet at pump inside - after a few cranks it actually runs - until the 20oz bottle is empty. Well damn, pump must be good...

The next day blow out the fuel lines with compressed air - blow air into the tank and clean fuel is coming out, the fuel never smelled nasty and the lines weren't blocked at all - we shot a 20oz bottle trying to collect nasty junk a few feet. Good laugh...

Get everything connected, still won't run... tried to get it to run again off of a 20oz bottle to the pump - nothing, no bubbles in the bottle, won't suck any fuel.

Decided I'd rather try a $17 fuel pump before dropping the tank since I never saw any black gunk like you see when pouring fuel out of an old inline filter, just clean good smelling gas. I bought the pump that was made for the truck - 3 lines... notice the pump that's on there has 2 lines and the return is plugged with a bolt - wonderful! Also, the metal line that goes from carb to pump has been hacked up with a rubber piece put in it's place - a bit crimped - I assume because the fitting was at a different angle than the factory 3 pump...

Few days later I go by and take the pump off... weird - two different sized bolt heads holding it in - get it off and the pump rod is all the way down - I can't seem to push the rod up... I turned the motor at the crank - I didn't want to hook up jumper cables and bump the starter with the gasoline vapor - but I still can't get the rod to even move... so I notice on the front of the motor where the bolts are supposed to be that I read about to hold the pin up when installing the new pump - both holes don't have a bolt in them... so.......... did I not turn the motor enough to turn the cam to allow the rod to go up? Do I have a much larger problem? Where the $%4 are the two bolts that I've read are supposed to be in the front of the motor? The old pump did have a bit of oil in it, but there's oil in the motor - plenty and clean - and the thing ran for a bit before that 20oz bottle was empty... frustrated

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
One of the bolts holes in the front is a blind hole to other is a thru hole and as you said to hold the pump rod up while installing pump. using light taps with a small hammer tap it back up, it may have mushroomed a bit at the top and is stuck in the bore is all. when you get everything back together put a bolt back in that thru hole with just a touch of silicone sealant on it or you will have a lil leak. If the return line is plugged it will create a vacuum in the tank when the truck runs and you will not get any fuel. The choke you mentioned is the wire broken or the connector at the choke connection..And by the way Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here,,sign0016

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Golf sign0016 To C10 Truck. That rod will not go up by it self. I have used long nose vice grips to raise them. Once you have it up put a bolt in the front hole to hold it till you get the pump in. DON"T forget to remove it, and replace it with a shorter one. You said the fuel line has a hose in it, if it is not fuel line hose it can collapse and close up. anim_25

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it... I'm hoping to get time tomorrow to play with it some and I'll post up some results. Gonna cross my fingers! If it runs I'll throw some liability on it and pick up a tag Monday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New pump installed, runs fine

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts