Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my Cousins truck sits waiting for more parts I start it now in then & run it for a while to keep the battery up. All that was fine in till today when I tried to start it up and ran the battery down. I went to take the battery out to charge it and the Neg. post was so Hot it melted the quick disconnect knob on the neg.post. I have never had this ever happen to me ever anfd I am a little stumped right now. When I owned it it went through a number of wiring & ground problems and eventually all was fixed & was starting right up ok. I know I probably left out some details so ask me what ever you think I need to tell you to fill in what I have left out. His truck is a 68 C10 not with the original engine, trans, alt & dist for the year of truck but that's not anything new for today's builds. Thanks for any help, all would be appreciated.Marvin

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
A loose connection cause heat It could have been right at the battery. I would check and make sure the ground strap from battery to engine block is good and clean. The quick connect could have been the problem. anim_25

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A loose connection cause heat It could have been right at the battery. I would check and make sure the ground strap from battery to engine block is good and clean. The quick connect could have been the problem. anim_25
I will check all grounds in the morning 38* now. The battery ground quick disconnect might have Not been tightened down and this just might have been my doings. OPP's thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I realize this is an old post. Did you get if figured out? One of the heavier gauge positive wires might be finding a path to ground. Your voltage regulator may be overcharging, which can be dangerous. 35 years ago, the battery in my 68 GMC 2500 exploded while I was driving through Wisconsin on I-94. The voltage regulator was charging at 22 Volts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts