Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and this is my first post. I need help with ideas for a frame up restoration of my 1970 C10 short bed truck. This truck means a good bit for me as my dad has owned it since 1974 and it was my first truck. My dad has brought the truck to someone to start a restoration process, but now has given me the truck to do with it as I want.

So, what I need help with is a list of items from frame up I should definitely have done, upgraded etc while the cab and bed are off the frame. Now while I understand the sky is the limit to some on restorations, I am simply looking to take care of the should dos on restoration such as cleaning the frame and possibly powder coating it etc. I am interested in upgrading things such as possibly upgrading the steering to power steering, rack & pinion & front disc brakes. I also have ideas of slightly lowering and leveling the truck so I know that will probably consist of drop springs and shocks and maybe drop spindles?? The truck is pretty stripped down as it has no power steering, no power braking, no AC and currently has the 250 Inline 6 with 3 speed on the floor.

If anyone can help provide a list of items to restore or suggest to upgrade/change out during this time of the cab and bed being off the frame before the cab and bed are painted and put back on the frame that would be great. Also, an idea per item of how much time in labor it may be for each item.

I essentially want a vehicle that when I get it back from restoration I can tinker with upgrading and changing out items myself as finances allow etc.

I hope all this makes sense.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am new here and this is my first post. I need help with ideas for a frame up restoration of my 1970 C10 short bed truck. This truck means a good bit for me as my dad has owned it since 1974 and it was my first truck. My dad has brought the truck to someone to start a restoration process, but now has given me the truck to do with it as I want.

So, what I need help with is a list of items from frame up I should definitely have done, upgraded etc while the cab and bed are off the frame. Now while I understand the sky is the limit to some on restorations, I am simply looking to take care of the should dos on restoration such as cleaning the frame and possibly powder coating it etc. I am interested in upgrading things such as possibly upgrading the steering to power steering, rack & pinion & front disc brakes. I also have ideas of slightly lowering and leveling the truck so I know that will probably consist of drop springs and shocks and maybe drop spindles?? The truck is pretty stripped down as it has no power steering, no power braking, no AC and currently has the 250 Inline 6 with 3 speed on the floor.

If anyone can help provide a list of items to restore or suggest to upgrade/change out during this time of the cab and bed being off the frame before the cab and bed are painted and put back on the frame that would be great. Also, an idea per item of how much time in labor it may be for each item.

I essentially want a vehicle that when I get it back from restoration I can tinker with upgrading and changing out items myself as finances allow etc.

I hope all this makes sense.
Welcome from So Cal lower desert (area).
First what did your dad do to it before you getting it (my dad brought it to someone to start restoration work)? Are you keeping the 6 banger and 3 spd floor shift? For a "full on frame off Restoration" be prepared to dump a minimum $10 K and up too $20 K + if your taste buds are "expensive" like "special high performance this and that parts wise.

I really "don't think" you will get a "line by line or blow by blow" detailed list from anybody that would need to spend multiple hours giving you what you really need to be doing. First thing since the bed and cab are off do the frame work as that would be Every thing that would make it NEW looking like Piece by Piece. Then you have Every Thing Else piece by piece.

PS, Is this your first Rodeo? Whats your Skills Level? Are you doing this work or someone else (restoration shops)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply to my post. You are correct when you say the sky is the limit on ideas and cost of any restoration. Someone else has already started on the restoration by pulling off the cab doing lots of rust repair and body work and priming etc.

what I’m looking for Are a suggested list of items and relative labor estimates (minus parts cost) of what I should have done while it’s just down to the frame. I’ve done some intense reading in this specifically on the 67-72 C10 and this Is what I’ve come up with.

I’d like to get the vehicle back with clean chassis, new items and upgrades that are must while truck is down to frame and it reassembled with new paint job so with help of my father and friend of family who knows his way away classic cars and restores we can upgrade and tinker with rest of restoration project ourselves as time and money allows.

clean and powder coat the entire frame
Replace all cab mount bushings
Upgrade front brakes to disc brakes (new spindles hardware etc)
Upgrade to rack and pinion steering
Possibly relocate and upgrade gas tank to rear frame
New motor mounts
Add aftermarket AC? (Is this best to do during rebuild or really can be done anytime?)

Anything else??

·
Registered
264 Posts
All I will say is start from the frame and work up. Anything parts wise that you have to take other parts off first to get to them needs to be done first then work outwards (if that makes sense). Start with the first part then every thing else. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts