Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 62 Chevy c10 I'm restoring. It's currently frame off and I'm having difficulties removing the 3 speed from the bell housing. I have removed the tail shaft, trans mounting bolts and side cover/shifter assembly. I can't seem to get it to come off the guide pins. I've pried on it over and over, it won't budge. The gears are in neutral. Thanks for any help bowtier

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
did you drive it into the shop??? If it has been sitting a long time the disk could be frozen to the trans spline. If this is the case you will have to remove the pessure plate bolts and the bellhousing and trans as a unit then destroy the disk to separate.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
x2....sometimes its a real biotch....anim_63

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you drive it into the shop??? If it has been sitting a long time the disk could be frozen to the trans spline. If this is the case you will have to remove the pessure plate bolts and the bellhousing and trans as a unit then destroy the disk to separate.
Has been sitting for ~15 years. Previous owner said something was wrong with the clutch when parked. I thought on a 235 you had to take the clutch and flywheel out before you could remove the bell housing because of the bolts on the inside behind the flywheel. bowtieb

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
you should be able to get to the pressure plate bolts out. With any luck you will be able to slide trans and disc back. that's if pressure plate is not stuck to flywheel. you will have to beat the disc off the trans shaft. There just is no easy way to get them out when the get stuck to the shaft or the flywheel. You will probably learn a new language while doing this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you should be able to get to the pressure plate bolts out. With any luck you will be able to slide trans and disc back. that's if pressure plate is not stuck to flywheel. you will have to beat the disc off the trans shaft. There just is no easy way to get them out when the get stuck to the shaft or the flywheel. You will probably learn a new language while doing this
Tried at it again this evening, got looking and figured out that what I thought were guide pins were bolts threaded in from the back side of the bell housing. If I take off the clutch fork I think I should be able to take them out with a long wrench through the top inspection plate. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help, will see if my clutch is actually frozen soon enough

·
Registered
93 Posts
trucks have 4 bolts holding the trans from the bellhousing. the two lower bolts thread into the transmission mounting ears. they can be removed after taking off the dust cover. On a 235 six you must remove the transmission the clutch and pressure plate. and next the flywheel. only then can you access the bolts that hold the bellhousing to the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trucks have 4 bolts holding the trans from the bellhousing. the two lower bolts thread into the transmission mounting ears. they can be removed after taking off the dust cover. On a 235 six you must remove the transmission the clutch and pressure plate. and next the flywheel. only then can you access the bolts that hold the bellhousing to the engine.
I have the top 2 bolts out, the bottom two that are threaded from the back side are the ones giving me trouble. I just thought they were check pins when I made the thread. Are you referring to the dust cover on the top of the bell housing? Because I have that one off and it seems almost impossible to get the right hand side bolt that is underneath the clutch fork out, through that top dust cover. Is there another one that I can take off? I couldn't see one but the bell housing is so dirty and oily I could be missing it

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Well there`s always more than one way to skin a cat as they say, sometimes it just makes sense..glad you got it apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts