Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 1966 C10 with a 327 and a four speed. It was running great for a few weeks, but one day it started to backfire out of the exhaust. It started out by just doing it twice and still running fine, but as I was driving it it got much worse to the point that it was blowing two foot flames and sounding like a shotgun. It also started to idle really poorly and lost all power, so it seemed to be running on less than 8 cylinders. I ended up having to tow it home. I'm trying to fix the issue and I started by replacing all the spark plugs. I figured that it may have jumped timing so I checked it, but it seemed to be pretty close to spec, but it's difficult to check because of the rough idle. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do to fix it? At this point I'm thinking it might be the carb but I want to be sure before I spend a bunch of money on a new one. It has a Holley 450cfm economaster. Thanks for the advice!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum Jkran, if you haven`t removed the plugs yet, and when you do look at them carefully, which ever cylinder is misfiring should show up on the plug, this will give you a starting point, I don`t believe its carburation, are you running a HEI distributor..or points, look at the points first, cracked distributor cap, bad plug wire, we`ll start there first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I changed out the plugs and put in new points and a condenser and it's running better than ever.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Glad that all worked for you...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts