Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember the first time I got to drive. It was my grandfathers 1972 C/10 stepside. He had a 50 acre farm and about 20 of it was hay fields. After the hay was cut one year he took me out to the middle of the field and put me in the drivers seat. It was a 6 cyl with 3 on the tree and had a low geared rearend. All you had to do was put it in first gear and ease up on the clutch and you were rollin! No gas pedal needed. That ole 6 wouldn't die or even lugg. Needless to say we wore that pasture out!anim_63
I was 10 y/o and I have liked those 67-72 C/10's ever since. Can still hear that clutch pedal squeak.

Thats my story,what is your's?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first drive in a C10 came at the wheel of my Dad's old 71 Olive green Cheyenne,equipped with a 350, light cam,4 speed muncie out of a Chevelle, and 3.73 posi rearend...and a diamond tucked seat with chrome buttons. I might've been 13. We had stopped at a store close to home and he suprised me when he came out of the store and jumped in the passenger side. I already knew how to work a manual trans ( grew up on a farm) but as I left the stop sign Dad thought he'd play with me by stepping on the gas. lol, the joke was on him when I kept the pedal on the metal, speed-shifted into second gear,and barked those tires! Unbeknownst to him I had made many "passes" in that truck while it sat in the driveway and he was at work with the keys in his pocket, so when I grabbed my first real gear in it, it felt natural to me in a way. One of the reasons I keep the 71 Cheyenne I have now is because of that old truck of Dads.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
My first was my mothers 53 chevy but realy never went anywhere but up and down the driveway.(When no one was home). I though I was getting away with somthing but the neibors had told my dad. He told me years later. The first truck I drove was my uncles 57 chevy panel 6 with 4 speed on floor. I was about 13 I'd guess. We lived in Chicago so my driving was in allies only, for awhile.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My first ride in a C10 was when my father and I picked up his brand new '72 C20 from Troutwine Chevrolet in Arcanum Ohio. I was 11 years old.

The truck was a hugger orange and white long fleetside, and it had the high horsepower 350 four barrel / 4-speed with 8 ply tires.

We pulled out of the dealership and once we got out of town and up to speed the truck shook so bad we thought the hood was going to fly off! Dad drove back to the dealership. The salesman said "the tires are just flat spotted, just drive it, it'll get better".

After a few miles the tires warmed up and sure enough the flat spots went away. But being a C20 it still road like a log wagon without any weight in the bed.

I learned to drive in the same truck, and I helped dad install a set of JC Whitney dual exhaust with glass packs when I was 16. What a great old truck.

Sadly the truck rusted into oblivion. The rockers and floors rotted so bad that the seatbelt bolts literally pulled out of the floor! Dad gave the truck to my grandfather who used it on the farm. I remember looking at it in the early '80's and the rear trailing arms had rusted to the point that they buckled, and the springs pushed the trailing arms down into grandpa's gravel driveway.

Nice walk down memory lane..... thanks for starting this thread!

·
Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
My first C10 (back in 72) was a 67 3/4 ton that came with a V6 but the previous owner swapped it for a 327. He owned a Chassis shop in the next town over and I had hung out there since I was a young guy.
It was black with red pinstriped flames and diamond tuft interior. Road pretty decent and being the second owner it had very low miles. I have an old Polaroid somewhere I'll have to dig up..... I'm sure the truck came part of the earth being from Boston and all the salt they used... Sure would have been nice to store it away for 40 years or so. bowtiedb

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
My first C10 (67) was bought in68 from my boss who bought it in 67. It was used as a parts chaser for a trucking company. In 73 I was having trouble with the drivers side window falling out of the track. Winter 73 on the way home one night COLD WINDY as only Chicago could do, The window fell down and the glass broke. I went past a Chevy dealer and stoped. Yep I bought a 74 C10 and while I was there they sold my old 67. My next one was in 85 then in 93 which I still have. I don't think I'd own anything but a C10 . Other than my plow truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts