Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is an Imgur album with some pics:

Link

The 350 mill is .030" over on the original 4-bolt main. I added Summit cast iron heads due to reluctance of anyone local to do any actual machine work on the original heads. These have 72CC chambers, 2.02/1.60 valves, etc etc. Very similar to old school camel humps with a modern combustion chamber design. Significant improvement over the old smogger heads it shipped with.

Intake is the venerable Edelbrock Performer, although I see they are now called "EPS" whatever that may mean (I believe it is just a TLA for Edelbrock Performer Series).

Air/Fuel is handled with the FI Tech 400hp system, installed a fuel pump inside the frame rail. That was an interesting experience considering all of the hours I spent trying to tune the previous system consisting of the Edelbrock 600CFM carburettor. It never was able to get dialed in. I installed the FI Tech, did some minor tweaking and it runs just great. Worth every penny.

The headers are coated Summit brand running through welded Thrush turbo mufflers all the way out the back. Cackles a bit.

The truck was born with a three-on-the-tree, but I converted it to a TH-350. Sourcing the steering column and cross member was fairly easy - the mechanicals proved to be a PITA. The three speed used a crossmember riveted to the frame rails. Two of those rivets were within explosion distance of the fuel lines, so the fire axe was not really an option. Die grinder and some patience got it removed. The frame was drilled for the automatic cross member, though, and the short shaft proved to be the same length. The TH-350 was fully rebuilt before install.

The body and paint was done over 20 years ago by myself with guidance from my old man, the color is not factory correct - but when we bought the paint they insisted it was the correct "medium bronze". It is a base/clear and plays very well with sunshine.

Wheels are American Racing Torq-thrust II in the 15x8 size, rubber is the classic BFG Radial T/A. I just could not bring myself to put modern style wheels on the old girl - same with the tires. I forget what size they are, at the moment.

Various odds and ends are yet to be done. I have a Retrosound system to install, some new weather stripping, a few knobs and other pieces of bright work, install a correct grill, install missing trim on tailgate, new master cylinder and booster are sitting at the shop, etc. I am sure you guys are aware of the nickel and dime stuff these trucks can present.

It is almost ready to be considered a daily driver at this point. I may go the 700R4 route in the future, my dad did a conversion on his '71 Sierra that went really well. I may also add carpet and some other Cheyenne-y stuff in the future.

The wife and I love just cruising around enjoying the looks we get. It has been in the family a quarter century now, and I have no plans of seeing it go anywhere else.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,966 Posts
Sweet ride, the FItech system is sweet, know several people with it...beer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Voltage regulator died on my way home from work Monday - fuel pump started really whining up and down. Made it home, determined alternator was bad with the old "remove a battery cable while running" test. Also, when I thought it was something to do with the FI system, my handheld display was fading in and out.

So I bought a 140A single wire and harness, hope it is here before the weekend. I realize now that converting it to EFI and HEI probably put some strain on that old alternator.

Also, I am probably just dusting it out - it sat far more than it ran the last 20 years. I broke a window crank last weekend, for example.

Soon, though... as if these things are ever "done"
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,966 Posts
just so you know if you purchase a repo window crank that they do not fit like originals, try and find a good used one...! beer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, got the alternator installed (big improvement). Also wrestled a Retrosound install - not as easy as I hoped it would be.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top