Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here`s an update of my progress so far. I`m not fast but having fun. Got the new axles with the 5x4-3/4 bolt pattern in so I can see what my wheels will look like. I`ve got the 4" HD lowering springs mocked in & getting ready to fab some rear upper shock mounts (thanks Lakeroadster). Just removed a front coil spring & am thinking of cutting 1 coil off to acheive a 3" drop in front. I read somewhere an easier way to remove the front springs without disturbing the ball joint. Raise the trucks front end, put a jack under the lower control arm & remove the two u-bolts on the frame side of the lower control arm. I put a chain thru the coil to be safe, then slowly lower the control arm. It worked great! Removed the shock & the upper shock stud is stripped. I think that might be a job changing that. And being the Corvette freak that I am, I was playing with some 1/8" tape & wanted to see what some C1 corvette coves would look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I`m having a blast doing this. I think the coves might work with the right color combo. I ordered a CPP 5x4-3/4" front disc conversion kit from Summit (saved $80 shipping thru Summit vs. CPP) 10-14 days wait. I cut one full coil off the front springs & it lowered the front end approx. 2-3/4". I think I am going to be really pleased with the stance. Progress will probably slow down a little, funds are drying up & have to wait for the weather to cooperate to do some sanding & primering & painting of the frame. I`ll post some pics when I get the front brakes on with the torque thrust wheels

·
Registered
493 Posts
Those Darn Upper Shock Mounts

.......Removed the shock & the upper shock stud is stripped.......
Donnie,

Front shocks are on my list for replacement also. Here's some data I have stashed in my archive:

New studs are only $6.95 each from Classic Parts, P/N 74-629A http://www.classicparts.com/1963-91-Shock-Absorber-Front/productinfo/74-629A/#.Ux-xGLnnbrc

You can probably get them from your local NAPA too, but.... since cantilevered shock mount designs suck (IMO:eek:), this may be of interest to you too:

Classic Parts P/N 74-681 http://www.classicparts.com/1963-87-Shock-Brackets-Front-pr/productinfo/74-681/#.Ux-ww7nnbrc

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered 2 of the shock mount studs from NAPA yesterday. I did see those upper shock mount braces browsing for other parts & think those would be a good idea. Rich suggested I just keep posting to one thread,(easier to follow) so I will probably just add to my"`65 project update" thread from now on. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got the disc brakes mocked up in the front so I could see what all 4 wheels look like & the stance. Still thinking about trying the CPP 3" lowering springs for the front. I`ve got the roll pan mocked up on the rear, & FedEx just dropped off 2 new front fenders. Still trying to figure out what I want to do for tail lights, maybe in the roll pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven`t been here for a while!

Hi Guys, I haven`t been on the forum for a while but here`s an update. Like I said before, I`m not fast, but I`m having fun. I`ve got the frame blasted & painted, new drum brakes in the rear, new discs in the front, new lowered suspension, aluminum tank & best of all, a new GM crate 350 that I got a fantastic deal on. I was originally going to put the 327 back in it (got it all cleaned & repainted it), but don`t know much about it, so I opted for the new one. I got the 700r rebuilt, & I got a longtime friend & bodyshop owner lined up to massage the body & paint it Ermine White with Torch Red inside the cab. I`ll try to post some pics. Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Truck

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven`t been here for a while!

Hi Guys, I haven`t been on the forum for a while but here`s an update. Like I said before, I`m not fast, but I`m having fun. I`ve got the frame blasted & painted, new drum brakes in the rear, new discs in the front, new lowered suspension, aluminum tank & best of all, a new GM crate 350 that I got a fantastic deal on. I was originally going to put the 327 back in it (got it all cleaned & repainted it), but don`t know much about it, so I opted for the new one. I got the 700r rebuilt, & I got a longtime friend & bodyshop owner lined up to massage the body & paint it Ermine White with Torch Red inside the cab. I`ll try to post some pics. View attachment 1257

View attachment 1258

View attachment 1259

View attachment 1260

View attachment 1262

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Donnie that is really looking good, sweet build..!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a while

Hi Guys. its been a while since I've been here. I'm a home builder & had to build a couple of houses this past year. but I did find a little time to install the crate motor & 700r and mount the cab. For some reason I cannot attach photos!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I did that home building and remodeling here for 12 years after retiring from another job. You don't get much spare time doing that. If you get spare time you don't have the $$$ to play with.. Nice progress and don't complain about working.
anim_25

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally getting the '65 put together Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Looks great Don, you`ve come a long ways with it....like what you have done so far..! beer

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks good, you've made a lot of progress in the last year!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost got it !!!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire just need exhaust and alignment!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts