Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the shop got in touch with me today, and i found out that the 400sbc I have is ceased up. So i am back to looking for a complete drive train. Not really sure where to start looking; however I know that i definitely want it to be carbureted. And not even sure what tranny to start looking for. Any advice???

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Why should the trans change just because the engine doesn't work. A good 350 will do most what anyone could want.. Not knowing just what you want its hard to make sugestions. You could buy a 350 create motor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So the shop got in touch with me today, and i found out that the 400sbc I have is ceased up. So i am back to looking for a complete drive train. Not really sure where to start looking; however I know that i definitely want it to be carbureted. And not even sure what tranny to start looking for. Any advice???
Did they do a tear down to find the seized up issue? could be a simple fix. Just because it won't turn over doesn't mean it isn't salvageable..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sm420 transmission i have is no good. Ive known that i either need to rebuild it or replace it. But now that i need a new engine as well; i might as well just start looking for a complete drivetrain to drop in. What i mean by i dont really know what i want....is that i need advice/recommendations on what year I should be looking into

·
Registered
129 Posts
What will be the purpose of this truck? Do you want to shift or have auto shifting? Where does speed and nostalgia fit in to your style of driving?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not trying to build a track truck or anything. I just wamt something reliable for like weekend driving. Nothing too crazy yet😉

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Not trying to build a track truck or anything. I just wamt something reliable for like weekend driving. Nothing too crazy yet😉
Any stock chevy small block V-8 327/305 /350/400 from `67 to `87 will work, if you go to automatic there will be other issues you will have to address, (steering column, trans crossmember, driveshaft) just to name a few, if you stick with the SM465 or Borg warnerT10 four speed, Muncie 4 speed, saginaw three speed or four speed trans, NP440 four speed transmission no other mods needed... as cookseyb said I would have someone look at that 400 to see why its locked up before I toss it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts