Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Ive been having trouble with my truck. She's a 63 c10 230ci 3.8L 3 on-the-tree. As I'm driving down the road I make it up to about 40MPH and all of a sudden it seems like its running out of gas. it kind of lurches forward a bit and then the gas pedal doesn't seem to do anything. When I let off the gas and slow down to about 30, I can drive and speed back up to 40 just fine, but when I get there it happens again.

I've done this so far:
-New Fuel Filter
-New fuel pump
-New sending unit
-Cleaned and purged tank
-removed and cleaned carb
-no vacuum leaks
-new accelerator pump

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hi all. Ive been having trouble with my truck. She's a 63 c10 230ci 3.8L 3 on-the-tree. As I'm driving down the road I make it up to about 40MPH and all of a sudden it seems like its running out of gas. it kind of lurches forward a bit and then the gas pedal doesn't seem to do anything. When I let off the gas and slow down to about 30, I can drive and speed back up to 40 just fine, but when I get there it happens again.

I've done this so far:
-New Fuel Filter
-New fuel pump
-New sending unit
-Cleaned and purged tank
-no vacuum leaks
-new accelerator pump

First welcome to the forum Kyle, glad to have you here..sign0016 when you say you purged the tank, did you remove the sending unit, and check the ( what we call the sock ) on the end of the sending unit tube? Also you did not mention condition of your distributor, could also be advance weights and or springs broken, missing or just plain worn out...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Kyle sign0016 To C10 Trucks I'm not sure but you may have an ignition problem. Or at least a timing problem. Do you have any trouble getting to 40 in second gear, or the same RPM in second gear? I'd change the points and see what happens. anim_25

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First welcome to the forum Kyle, glad to have you here..sign0016 when you say you purged the tank, did you remove the sending unit, and check the ( what we call the sock ) on the end of the sending unit tube? Also you did not mention condition of your distributor, could also be advance weights and or springs broken, missing or just plain worn out...
I pulled the tank and sending unit and swapped the whole unit. Its a new coil, distributor, plugs and wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kyle sign0016 To C10 Trucks I'm not sure but you may have an ignition problem. Or at least a timing problem. Do you have any trouble getting to 40 in second gear, or the same RPM in second gear? I'd change the points and see what happens. anim_25
So I'm kind of a rookie when it come to vehicle mechanics. What do you mean by change the points? adjust the timing? I normally shift from 2nd to 3rd at about 35mph maybe a little less. Ill try that today when I get home.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
if you don't have a HEI distributer you probably have points if they are bouncing they could cause your problem they ( the spring) gets weak after awhile.
Rich and I were replying at same time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this weekend I did a compression test and tuned the timing. Compression was 130-115 so not terrible. and then my timing was way advanced but that's fixed now. So next I think a vacuum gauge is required and then tune the carb best I can. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
14 Posts

I've done this so far:
-New Fuel Filter
-New fuel pump
-New sending unit
-Cleaned and purged tank
-no vacuum leaks
-new accelerator pump

Hey fellow GM man its sounds as if your not getting fuel ! But what the problem maybe is actually electrical . Check your distrubuter cap your any hair line cracks , then look all your spark plug wires for spark that your geyting the same amount through each one . Then it maybe your check coil . And if you can rest test ALL wires to the ignition system . And alternater .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts