Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don’t swap

Votes: 3 100.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to the forum

Trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to do an LS swap in my 64.

Details

- trucks in shop now getting work done to lay frame. Started with rear and about to head up front. Would like the swap a yes or no before hand.

- currently have a running 327sbc with t350…….BUT I ALSO have a 2wd 2008 Cadillac Escalade with a 6.2L with what I believe is a 6l80E

long story long, I’ll be out of town working for awhile and want a rough idea on price to gut the Escalades drivetrain and what else is needed for the “POSSIBLE SWAP” and put in the 64 c10. Any suggestions on what is needed let me know please. All help is highly appreciated. Thank you

· Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't call it easy or inexpensive. Of course it depends on what you want it to look like when you are finished. It took me way longer to hide wires than it did to wire my truck. Always something in the way, clutch linkage, exhaust or transplanted fuel tanks. Or you can throw the motor in and use the donor harness with the big and ugly fuse box and move on. Pretty costs time or money just like women. Certainly lots of willing help from the board and help locating parts.
Expect it to take a while. Getting your significant other on board is important. It will be quite the ride.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't call it easy or inexpensive. Of course it depends on what you want it to look like when you are finished. It took me way longer to hide wires than it did to wire my truck. Always something in the way, clutch linkage, exhaust or transplanted fuel tanks. Or you can throw the motor in and use the donor harness with the big and ugly fuse box and move on. Pretty costs time or money just like women. Certainly lots of willing help from the board and help locating parts.
Expect it to take a while. Getting your significant other on board is important. It will be quite the ride.

very true, thanks for bringing that into the light for me hahaha the ocd in me would of went crazy seeing a mess of wires. The impulsive side of me didn’t even think of that. I will definitely be bringing it up to the shop when the time comes. Lucky for me my woman also sees final stage of the truck and is for it. Appreciate the help with the steps of this project

· Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
1,029 Posts
Swapping the stock Cadillac L92 vs a 327 will gain you 50hp and roughly 60 lbs torque. If you swapped cams, added headers etc to the caddy..you could gain an additional 50 more hp.

I would stick a fuel injection unit on the 327 and be done. The 64 has a light rear end and it's gonna take more money to get that power to the ground. My old iron 383 will absolutely cook the tires.

Something else to consider..there's some confusion about the 2008 L92 motor. From reading it appears that it has AFM parts, but the AFM was not active(with the computer) in the Escalade until late 2009-10? If there's AFM parts, you're gonna want to delete those.

This explains how AFM works. Your motor may not have all the VLOM parts like the newer Motors, but any AFM hardware should go..lifters, cam etc.

Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue Document

My 2015 Silverado had an AFM lifter lock up and bend the push rod at 55K miles. My extended warranty paid about $6100 to pull both cylinders and replaced all the lifters and VLOM parts. Again..the AFM parts in my truck vs your 08 caddy are a little different, but similar. GM started using AFM as early as 2005.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info. A buddy just brought that up and recommended just building up the 327. I’ll look into and bend my buddies ear more about the Active Fuel Management for the Escalade. Thank you for your insight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts