Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering lowering my 66 longbed fleetside a little, just a couple of inches. Can this be done simply with different springs and shocks? Is there anything else I would need to modify on the truck for a 2 inch drop in the front and 4 inch in the back?

Also - I know this shows my lack of knowledge, however, why is it a shorter drop in the front that in the back??

·
Registered
493 Posts
Stance, generally speaking:

• Factory stock C10 & C20 trucks typically have rear springs that are designed such that the truck will sit level once loaded, remove the load and the back is higher than the front. Which is referred to as "rake". 3/4 ton trucks (C20's) will have more rake than 1/2 ton trucks (C10's).
  • When you lower a C10 63-66 truck 2" more in the back than the front this tends to make the truck sit level when unloaded. the down side is if you are going to haul or tow with your truck it will sit lower in the back if all you do is use lowering springs. That's why a lot of folks use 4" heavy duty rear drop springs. I used these on my '65 and they worked great for a multi purpose truck.

The 2/4 Drop

You can indeed do a front 2", rear 4" drop with only springs and shocks, but you should relocate the rear upper shocks. I authored a how to on that, you can find it in my signature line below. Also a front end alignment is also wise.

Keep in mind that you might be disappointed with a 2/4 drop. Your truck has 50 year old springs... it is already dropped some due to spring sag​

OK then, how do I know what drop do I want?

Your best bet is to search for a truck like yours that has the stance you like, then ask what they did, and replicate that. Remember find a truck just like yours.. same bed length, same bed style (fleet vs. step). Wheel and tire combo's make a big difference in relation to the trucks final stance too. For instance I used 33" diameter rear tires on my truck... that changed "the stance", as well as "the look". drastically.

There are numerous "static drop threads" that you can refer to, like this one: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507575

Rant

If the folks that made lowering shocks would show photo's with dimensions like this you could go measure your truck and compare.... but they don't. The axle center line to fender lip dimension doesn't change if the wheel and tire combo is changed.

Axle center line to fender lip dimensions, 2-1/2" front flame heated drop stock coils, 4" HD rear CPP drop springs on a 1965 6-1/2' bed step side C10 pickup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again for offering some good thoughts! I appreciate how much time you've put into helping me with my questions. Its impressive.

Great information.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts