Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

So after finding out my ball joints are shot, I figured I would just put some new ones in easy peasy right??.....lol NO... I had to grind the uppers off with a grinder...finally got the lowers off with a huge clamp....go to the local parts store and get new ones for both lower and upper. I get home the upper ball joints fit in nicely, but trying to press the new lower joints in it seems that they are too big??...is there a different kind than from the local parts store I'm not seeing?...basically there seems to be a channel for them to press into but nothing is fitting right.....

Sorry for the long rant.......and yes I am a rookie when it comes to ball joints!!

HELP????

Duane

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I forgot some details.....truck is a 64 stepside and trying to swap drum brakes for the discs......ive got the conversion kit already as well!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Duane, when you say disc brake conversion...is this a kit..and from what vendor...? sorry for the questions but too many vendors with their own kits...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi....sorry I forgot that part too....got all my front end stuff from summit racing...probably through classic performance.....but I did not get ball joints at all....I thought mine were good until I really looked at them.....didn't want to have to change them out later on....I got the front disc conversion kit pads..rotors dust shields..spindles...etc...

does that help???

Duane

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
hi....sorry I forgot that part too....got all my front end stuff from summit racing...probably through classic performance.....but I did not get ball joints at all....I thought mine were good until I really looked at them.....didn't want to have to change them out later on....I got the front disc conversion kit pads..rotors dust shields..spindles...etc...

does that help???

Duane
Yes some what, all CPP`s drop kits use `73 to `87 ball joints, to fit the spindles, they will fit the stock A-arms as well....you cannot use the `63 to `66 ball joints as they will not fit the spindle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so your telling me I have to get new upper and lower control arms now????....I didn't get the drop spindles ...I got the standard height ones..ughhhhh

it might be easier for me to pm you if you like??....im gonna have a ton of questions now

Duane

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
so your telling me I have to get new upper and lower control arms now????....I didn't get the drop spindles ...I got the standard height ones..ughhhhh

it might be easier for me to pm you if you like??....im gonna have a ton of questions now

Duane
No not control arms, just ball joints `73 to `87 are all the same.....for these years...

·
Registered
20 Posts
While I don't know about your specific kit or control arms/spindles you will need a special ball joint press to reinstall press in ball joints. It is basically a very heavy c-clamp with different adapters. And yes, it does seem like the ball joint is bigger than the hole in the control arm. Some parts stores have "loan a tool" programs. I know NAPA has the program so if you have a NAPA store, I would ask them. Also Autozone (I would NOT recommend their parts though) have the loan a tool program. The way it works is you buy the tool, use it and then return it for a refund.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts