Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1960 Carryall/Suburban and the driver door won't open. I had her shipped 8hrs to me so I hadn't seen her in person until she arrived, but was told the door was stuck.

Upon reading up on this, it appears to be a common problem that these doors get locked and then won't unlock. Thing is I don't appear to have a door key. I've texted the seller to see if he knows about a separate key, but haven't heard back yet...being impatient as I am, I'm asking here.

So, was there a door key AND an ignition key? If so, any suggestions on dealing with this? Should I be able to take a handle off and take it to a locksmith and can they then make a key or do all the handles need to come off to be re-keyed?

I'm also a bit perplexed about the rear barn doors if anyone is familiar with those. They latch together and the driver side door latches all seem to work and release fine, but they don't latch to the body. I'm actually wondering if someone pulled off the body mounts and flipped them around wrong, seems strange though. Maybe I'll search pics online to see if I can tell. The top latch meets the striker plate, but it doesn't set....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
You can buy key and lock sets from LMC for both the doors and ignition if need be. Can`t answer on the barn doors never have worked on one, maybe Charlie will chime in here...one thing these trucks are good for is worn hinge pins which causes the door too catch, when you get it opened, open it just a few inches and see if the door will lift up and down at the handle end, if it does the the hinge pins are worn, you can buy hinge pins at Orielys or LMC ...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I haven't worked on a sixty in who knows how long, BUT the drivers side rear door should (close first) lock to the body. Then the passenger door lock to it. As far as the locks go if you can't get the dr. side open you can take the passenger side off and take to L/S as doors are the same. Ignition is different form doors. You should still be able to open from inside>anim_25

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't worked on a sixty in who knows how long, BUT the drivers side rear door should (close first) lock to the body. Then the passenger door lock to it. As far as the locks go if you can't get the dr. side open you can take the passenger side off and take to L/S as doors are the same. Ignition is different form doors. You should still be able to open from inside>anim_25
Yes drivers side closes first. The mechanism all works, it just doesn't latch when closed....I'll play with the striker plate and see if it can be adjusted.

As for the driver door, it's like the latch won't release. I've been hitting it with lubricant, so maybe it'll let go soon. Panel it's of the issue, but too much in way to see what's going on behind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes drivers side closes first. The mechanism all works, it just doesn't latch when closed....I'll play with the striker plate and see if it can be adjusted.

As for the driver door, it's like the latch won't release. I've been hitting it with lubricant, so maybe it'll let go soon. Panel it's of the issue, but too much in way to see what's going on behind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the door open. Not to get that part lubed up so it works our I'll be looking for a replacement. What happened is the plunger behind the handles position it's rusted and stuck. I gunshot had to tap it with a 3/8 socket extension and was able to get it to pop loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you door is locked and doesn't find the keys then surely you must take help from locksmith, they will provide you the new key for your door lock. I personally used locksmith miami to deal with door latch problem when i lost the keys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got the door open. Not to get that part lubed up so it works our I'll be looking for a replacement. What happened is the plunger behind the handles position it's rusted and stuck. I gunshot had to tap it with a 3/8 socket extension and was able to get it to pop loose.
Did u take help from locksmith near to your location or called dealership to do that job?

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL! I live on the sixteenth floor and it would be crazy if I decide to enter my apartment through the window. If I lost my key, I usually hire chicago certified locksmith. I have already done it and I have much experience with it. I don't if it is good or bad but I am not afraid of such situations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts