Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres whats been going on, I will adjust the timing and carb settings and my engine will run fine for awhile but after a few days it will go back to spitting when accelerating, dieseling when I shut the engine off and just poor performance in general.
I already know that I need to change the fuel pump and intake and carb baseplate gaskets along with a few other odds and ends but my question is does this sound like a cam going bad or do I just need to replace my list and reset everything and cross my fingers?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Start with carb base gasket first if you know for sure its bad, if you use a UNLIT propane torch and hold it at the carb base if the engine speeds up you have a leaking gasket. Check all vacuum hoses for spit ends loose connections including the brake booster hose...then when and if your comfortable that all vacuum connections and base gasket are good we will look at timing and advance ( could be vacuum advance dashpot leaking...remove hose from carb ( engine off) and suck on the end off the hose, if no resistance then vacuum dashpot needs replacing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its been awhile, but I have replaced the gaskets with new ones (Im running a phenolic spacer under my carb). After cleaning off the old gasket from the bottom of my carb, the truck no longer surges at idle nor diesels when I shut it off. Theres still a few other odds and ends to check but I think I may have gotten part of my problem licked (at least I hope I did).

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Great your headed in the right direction...beer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts