Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New to the forum, new to c10 world. Just bought a 65 lwb that my son and I are going to restore for him to drive once he gets his license. I would like to keep the 250cid motor that is in it however would like to beef it up a bit. Question is does anyone have any suggestion on carb and cam package that works well. Not looking to make a hot rod just a little extra to help move it down the road and compensate for the a/c and power steering that I plan to add. I plan on boring 30 over and don't want to give it more cam and carb than it needs.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Nancyboy welcome to the forum, chevy six last forever, power can be made easier and little more reliable with an factory HEI and look into getting a weber 2 barrel with unlimited adjustability, use stock inards with the basic top end rebuild paying attention to valve adjustments....!
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/category_s/690.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read somewhere that the original factory color of the motor was olive green. can anyone verify this?

thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Not really olive green, sort of a medium green, I'll see if I can find a pic of one, my first 65 was a six with original untouched engine...!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Chevrolet Engine Colors 1912-1966

A 250 would be Blue/Gray, per this article written by Robert Hensel of Brillion, WI. : Chevrolet Engine Colors 1912-1966
This is a reprint of an article that appeared in the June, 1996 issue of Pickup 'n Panels in Print [publication of the National Chevy/GMC Truck association], titled 'Engine Colors and More'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks lakeroadster!

any idea what the combo would have been? block blue, head gray, block and head blue valve cover gray?

I would like to keep the motor as original as I can make it.

my son and I are doing this over the course of the next couple of years as we are on a tight budget. This will be his first vehicle and I want to make him proud of it. Once I make some progress I will post some pics. Right now it is down to a bare frame setting in the garage

once again, thanks for the help

·
Registered
493 Posts
You Sure That's A 250

Well I've dug into this a bit more.....

My 1965 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual doesn't list a 250? It lists 230 & 292.

Most online sites I have visited show the first year for the 250 as 1966.

You sure that's a 250 and not a 230? I would assume it is possible that if your truck was built late in the 1965 production run that it is possible that it had a factory installed 250. Or maybe a previous owner swapped in the 250? Have you looked at the motor stamping and cross referenced it to a data chart?

Information regarding identification of the motor can be found here: Casting numbers, date codes, and suffix codes

Be sure to look at the links at the bottom of that page... lot's of inline 6 data.

So if it is a 250 here is a photo of a survivor 1966 C10 that has the 250 Cu In I6. It appears to be blue with gray rocker covers, which looks really slick. Here is a link to the site the pictures came from: Collectible Classic: 1960-1966 Chevrolet Pickup Truck

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Nancyboy if you should happen to determine whether or not your engine is original, ( hard because they didnot stamp a partial vin on the block like they did with the pass cars ) the color residue might be found on the inside of the back of the block or in some of the corners, GM did however change colors when one color had depleted on production lines especially on the truck lines, gray was used quite regularly also as noted by the disclaimer on the link John posted....!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Nancyboy just found out something I didnot know all 250 six cylinders started their casting numbers with 35,36,37. 1400,and 1401 on the block, if this is the case its actually a `1966 engine as that is when GM started issueing the 250 six cylinder in pickups, prior to that they were either 230 or 292....!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well I've dug into this a bit more.....

My 1965 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual doesn't list a 250? It lists 230 & 292.

Most online sites I have visited show the first year for the 250 as 1966.......
..... if this is the case its actually a `1966 engine as that is when GM started issueing the 250 six cylinder in pickups, prior to that they were either 230 or 292....!
anim_63 .........

·
Registered
797 Posts
The company I went to work for had 6 1966 GMC 1\2 ton Lb Fleetsides.all 6 were 250 cid and all of them had the original engines.But there was some differences between Chevy and GMC.All of those engines were the Chevy orange.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What's with the rusty log chain, bad motor mount?

That's a torque chain. without the chain When I gouge on it the engine will twist enough tear apart the rubber mount or move enough to shift the trans linkage and hold it in low or shove it into neutral. Powerglide trans. Three point mounting. a torque strap or chain is a good insurance .

·
Registered
93 Posts
The company I went to work for had 6 1966 GMC 1\2 ton Lb Fleetsides.all 6 were 250 cid and all of them had the original engines.But there was some differences between Chevy and GMC.All of those engines were the Chevy orange.
My daily drivers are both 66 GMC,s one has the souped up six & powerglide. the other had the original stock 250 six and granny 4 speed. that original engine is painted the greenish gray color. I really don't think the engine cares what color it is painted. I know it don't matter to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts