Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this truck Sunday. I got it home and now im trying to figure exactly what I want to do with it. The truck is 100% stock except for the motor and the trans...283/Turbo-350.

I don't want to restore it just drive it as is. My question is should I scotch brite the paint and clear it or just drive it as is?

My plan is to put a new master cylinder and wheel cylinders on it along with tires and just drive it as is...Just looking for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
First Welcome to C10 Trucks. That is a fine looking truck. Clearing it , I think would be a great idea. I'm not sure the 283 (if stock) will haul the boat( witch is sweet). That's something you'll have to find out. If not a 350 will and its an easy swap. anim_25 with your project

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with Fisher, clear coating it and keeping the ORIGINAL PATINA is what i would do if it was mine....

Nice looking rig ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
sign0016 to the forum! Truck looks clean and straight, congrat's.

A lot of folks use CLR to clean the truck. There are also products, such as Gibbs Lubricant or linseed oil, that can be used to stop or slow down the rusting process. Repeated application of these products is inevitable, and the frequency will be based on the use of the truck, and how much rain and snow it encounters.

Lots of good ideas here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/preserving-patina.756197/

I personally am not a fan of clear coating over patina and have yet to see one that doesn't look like clear coat over patina. If you do clear the truck use flat clear. Any gloss at all looks really bad IMO.... case in point:

No Clear:

Clear:

In any event, good luck to you and be sure to keep us informed as things progress.

Hope that helps, and again sign0016,

John

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, clear coating is your choice, 283 with a TH 350, gear ratio..? guessing 3.73, it will pull the boat fine, biggest question, is you really need to upgrade the brakes to at least a dual master cylinder, and maybe add a booster but thats you call.....sign0016

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure what gears are in it. Im sure the vin# would tell me.

I agree the clear coat on that truck doesn't look so good. I love the looks of the Patina.

I pulled one of my wooden boats with my 66 Impala years ago with a single master cylinder and power brakes. But that being said I was always careful about big hills.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Dan the vin will not give the gear ratio, top right side of the rear axle tube from the rear will be a series of letters and numbers, you will have to use sandpaper very lightly to reveal these digits thru the rust and dirt, this will define your ratio providing it has not been changed sometime in its life...save image to your photos and enlarge..!

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Your best bet for determining rear gear ratio is to pull the rear cover. This also allows you to inspect the gears and then flush everything with brake cleaner and install new gear lube. But, as a quick check, try this:
To check rear end ratio jack up one tire if you have an open diff, or both tires if you have a working posi or locking differential. With the tranny in neutral (block the front tires first) rotate the jacked up tire one full revolution for posis and lockers and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3.9 turns, you have a 3.90 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading.​

Hope that helps.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cool truck man, I'd leave that beautiful patina! Clearing it will slow down the rusting, but not stop. I'd just drive it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts