Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm new here so I figured I'd introduce myself before asking my question. My name is Mike and I live in Dallas, TX area but I grew up in PA and spent most of my adult life in the mid-west working in the auto industry for brand-X (Ford). I've always been a GM guy from a die-hard GM family.

My dad, who has terminal cancer, has a mint condition factory original 1970 C10 short box that I'm trying to get a good estimate on worth, as my brother and I will most likely be looking to sell it in the coming months when he passes. I've been a car guy my whole life, as dad was a mechanic who ran his own auto repair and state inspection business for 30+ years. My uncle was NHRA record holding drag racer and this truck was used in the 70's to tow race cars around the mid-west before my dad bought it from a good friend of my uncle.

Right now I don't have photos of it as I'm in Texas and it is up north, but I will get some and add them to the post. As for what I know about the truck here goes:

1970 C10, short bed, Big Block 396 (although I always understood they were 402 due to the blocks getting bored 0.030" at engine plant), roughly 86k miles (really guessing on this from last time I drove it 20 years ago), metallic brown ORIGINAL paint, factory air conditioning, factory leather (some type of premium package), and completely Un-restored. This is an unrestored, 100% rust free, original paint, 2nd owner truck that has never had an ounce of major repairs in its whole life. My dad has owned this truck since late 70's and it has lived in a climate controlled garage, never seen snow, and the engine has never been touched other than oil changes and stuff like plugs, wires, points and condenser. The only thing not original is the battery, exhaust, brake pads/shoes and tires.

Now the real kicker. It's a C10 but it has the factory COPO trailer tow package which had the manual transmission 4 speed (1st is creeper gear) and a Dana 60 rear axle. Even though it's the Dana 60 it's still got regular wheel ends and 5 lug wheels, unlike the Dana in a 3/4 ton which has semi-floating axle ends. Years ago when changing rear brakes my dad discovered the drums and shoes were actually stamped with Ford part numbers. When we researched it at that time we discovered that Dana only wanted to make one axle for both GM and Ford, both of which released a heavy duty trailer tow option truck in 1970. This is where we found out this truck was a COPO optioned truck. I still need to look at the protect-o-plate to get more info on this and glove box sticker for all option details.

So at this point I'm looking for true estimates as to what it is worth so we don't get screwed from someone trying to steal it from him in his last month or two he has. Ultimately I'd like to see this go to someone for a fair price. Someone who will keep it and use it and not just try to flip for a profit. I'd love to keep for myself but he has 1965 Pontiac Tempest with 36k miles that's nicer condition than this truck, which is hard to believe because the truck is 95/100 point scale. I told my brother I'm keeping the Pontiac and we will sell the truck and he can keep the $$ from the truck.

So I welcome comments, thoughts, private messages if someone is truly interested with cash and deep understanding of the worth of this level of a truck.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Its hard to hazard a guess without personally looking at a truck, what one person considers a fair price may or may not reflect it, plus what a buyer wants to offer is what it comes down to...I know people that have had vehicles up for sale for years, mainly because they want too much ( I really think they like to see a for sale sign on it ) anim_63

1 - 9 of 9 Posts