Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Recently purchased a 66 C10 six cylinder.
The problem I am having is getting ignition tumbler out.
How I understand it is you turn the key to on position, press paper clip in hole, compressing spring, then turn key to acc. and pull out the tumbler.
The problem is I can't get the key to turn to acc.
Is there an acc. position on a 1966 C10 pick up?
The key is badly worn out so that does not help. Possibly the wrong key but with some jiggling it goes to the on and start position.
Any tricks of the trade to get this tumbler out?
Much appreciated.

Steve

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The key is badly worn out so that does not help. Possibly the wrong key but with some jiggling it goes to the on and start position.

Steve
I believe that is the problem, wrong or worn key... just keep trying...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
one thing you could try is have a new key made from the one your using it may have sharper edges and work...Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be a problem

I am pretty sure you have to turn the switch to the ACC position and then push the pin and continue to turn the barrel left and it should come out and then you can undo the nut on the front and remove the switch. A locksmith maybe able to assist by cutting another key or depressing the lock palls allowing the barrel to turn far enough backwards to allow the barrel to be removed.
Cheers

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
You can remove the lock ring on the dash to remove the switch and tumbler as a unit, unplug it and take it too a lock smith, or try and get the key to turn to ACC position at your kitchen table..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am pretty sure you have to turn the switch to the ACC position and then push the pin and continue to turn the barrel left and it should come out and then you can undo the nut on the front and remove the switch. A locksmith maybe able to assist by cutting another key or depressing the lock palls allowing the barrel to turn far enough backwards to allow the barrel to be removed.
Cheers
Yes you can hire nearby locksmith and ask them to cut key for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most modern cars that have keyless remote starting have a key that has a computer chip inside of it. This requires a different type of ignition system. The instructions noted below are for older vehicles without a chip-style ignition key or push-button starting features. Consider using user manual or hire a locksmith to fix the ignition tumbler problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts