Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my ignition cylinder on my 79 c10 that has a steering column from a 78 c10. When putting in the new part I’m having problems with the new key not coming out. The new cylinder goes in but what I am seeing is that it is not allowing it to turn all the way to the off position, which I believe is why the key doesn’t come out. The reason I replace it was due to the truck being able to to turn with out the key. If anyone can give me any advice that would be great. Thank y’all!

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
803 Posts
Did you check the new lock cylinder before installing. And did you make sure to install the new one in the same position that the old one came out if?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the new lock cylinder before installing. And did you make sure to install the new one in the same position that the old one came out if?
I took it off in the “on” position. But I did have trouble taking it out. I did check out the new lock cylinder and it works perfect that’s what made me think it’s something now allowing it to go on the “off” position.
I’m going to mess with it maybe assemble it all back together. If not I might just replace the column…

·
Super Moderator
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
803 Posts
Did you have a tab you depressed to remove the cylinder? Like this..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have a tab you depressed to remove the cylinder? Like this..

Yes that was what gave me a hard time. My truck is a 79 so I thought it did not have that tab until after a while I looked and seen it did. I’m not sure if having it in the “on” position messed anything up. Guessing the tilt steering column was changed and they threw something from 78 or older in.

·
Super Moderator
803 Posts
Did you compare the 2 ignition before you installed it, to make sure it matched up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts