Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that if you go for the crossmember/disc brake swap on a 62-66 C-10 that it widens the track width 1 inch====Is that total or per each side? Thanks.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Gm disc brakes will widen the front track 3/4 inch per side, thats `73 to `87 trucks, up to 91 on suburbans, using the newer style `88 on up modular style only 1/4 inch per side, the later modular you`ll need to purchase the kits from the vendors. Its not the crossmember that widens the track just the spindles.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
just for clarification, `63 to `66 you donot need to change out the entire crossmember, just use the `73 to `87 ball joints, with the donor spindles and brakes, master and or booster proportioning valve and lines all on your crossmember and a-arms. `60 to `62 you`ll need the entire crossmember and to build spacers to make up the diffeance as the earlier trucks had a narrower frame in the front.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted the steering box too..

for power steering. Will the steering box just bolt to the frame (bracing added) and be good to go if I just go for the spindles, hubs, discs brakes (no crossmember swap)??

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yes and no...what year truck are we talking of...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Truck is

1964 Chevy C 10 with 3/4 ton rear axles, 8 bolt brakes. Was originally a 6 cylinder, then an eight, and now back to a 6 cylinder.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
OK Rich I have a customer that has a 50 GMC 3/4 ton. He wants P/S, but doesn't want any frame work done and wants to keep the original wheel and column. His wife has a very hard time trying to steer the way it is. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I think they`re best bet would be the unisteer, mounts from one side rack and pinion this would minimise frame mods.... http://www.unisteer.com/ford/1935-40-ford-cross-steer.html

I really don`t think you`re going to get away from the frame mods.... http://www.performanceonline.com/Power-Steering-Gear-Boxes-c-810/

You know Charlie, maybe just a good frontend rebuild might be in order for your customer, new kingpins, rod ends and box rebuild, just might make it easier to steer, I noted that on a 40 chevy coupe I had built back in the late sixties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts