Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to remove the faded molding strips on the sides of the truck. What's the best way to safely remove it so I won't damage the bodywork?

·
Registered
493 Posts
What year truck?

On a 63-66 C10:

The side trim is attached to the door and the bed sides with plastic clips that push through and snap into place.

If you have access to the back of the panel reach up from the back of the panel and push the plastic clips back out.

If you don't have access to the back of the panel head to Harbor Freight. For $7.00 you can buy a 5 piece auto trim and molding tool set specifically for this purpose.

The trim on the front fender is attached by clips that bolt to the fender. You will need to reach up and take the nut off the back of those.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Caution if the molding clips are original they will be the nut and metal clip, they will not pop off without damaging the trim...you`ll have to access the clip nut for removal...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think Cvotaw has an '84... which means none of this matters anyway.

Caution if the molding clips are original they will be the nut and metal clip, they will not pop off without damaging the trim...you`ll have to access the clip nut for removal...
Yeah, that's not the case for 63-66's according to the factory diagrams here. Note in the diagram none of the trim clips use a nut except the front fender trim and the short pieces that wrap around the cab corners.

Of course a guy could use the metal clips with the nuts on everything... but that's not the way they came out of the factory.

I am in the process of installing some used trim on my '65 truck so I've been researching this. The used stock trim I am using has fasteners just like those shown in the diagram.

The door and bed wide trim has big clips like that shown as item 5 below, and the thin trim has a formed wire clip like that shown as item 6 below. They both allow the trim to simply be pushed on from the outside of the truck.

More drawings I made showing the trim and associated factory clip types:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. It is an 84'. I didn't see any screws, it just seems like some kind of tape or adhesive.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I asked a body man that very same thing on my 90 and he said they use a plastic scraper.Moulding held on with 2 way tape.This was quite some time back so now they may have some kind of powered tool to remove them like they use on windshields maybe

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have to remove the wheel well trim on Chris' 99 suburban to make repairs to the rear quarters. They are held on with double face tape I was told to use FISHING Mono filament) line and pull it back and forth to cut the tape. There is always a trick or two to learn
anim_25

1 - 7 of 7 Posts