Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I hope this post finds you well.

Can someone describe the order the horn switch goes together? Mine wasn't working or complete and I ordered a new one, but it has no instructions.

Thanks in advance,
Malcolm

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The horn button in the wheel goes to ground when pressed that ground goes to the horn relay which closes and and sends positive to the horn.. The switch CAB NOT handle the current draw of the horn. If you are having trouble with the button itself go to www.youtube.com and enter 65 Chevy truck horn button. Hope this helps

Maybe this will help you

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG this horn button is driving me crazy. I believe I understand the order the switch button parts go together, but it won't work. I have tried assembling them in different ways and no luck. My horn will honk when I ground the switch to the steering wheel. It will also intermittently honk when I turn the steering wheel, even though I have the spring contact (the piece that passes voltage from the turn signal switch to the horn switch) removed....?

I've bought new turn indicator switch and new horn switch assembly. They should be good.

Any thoughts? It seems pretty simple, but WTH?

Thanks in advance y'all.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Metal plate contacts center of steering wheel to ground relay.Plate and area inside steering wheel are clean of rust.Intermitant could also be at the rag joint.Some had a ground strap built in them.Not sure your model requires it though

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the grounding is fine because when I physically ground the switch in the steering wheel, it works fine.

The spring contact goes into the hole in the steering wheel, the metal plate faces down like an inverted bowl, then the cup with the plastic ring with 3 screws goes on....does the spring contact not make contact with the metal plate until it is pushed and deflects the metal ring to make contact with the spring contact?....ugh

Ok, so I just went out and put it together like I think it should be and I had to push very hard directly in the center of the horn trim to deflect the metal plate and it worked. I pushed much harder than I would have thought I needed to. I'm driving to get pizza here soon, so I can give it a road test. Hopefully, it won't get stuck on behind someone in traffic. haha

Thank Blue Goose. It helps to bounce things off other's minds

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, working but......

The horn switch works great. The new metal disc is more angled than the one I took out and takes a good firm push directly in the center of the horn button for it to "honk".....but the horn "honks" at times on it's own when I am slow turning the steering wheel as in parking at slow speeds or slow speed maneuvering. My steering column has slack in it. I replaced the upper bearing in the turn signal switch, but didn't go deeper into the column to replace the lower bearing (yet).

Any thoughts? Rebuild the column and get it tight and the problem will probably fix itself?
Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks and wishing all a great day.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Ok, working but......

The horn switch works great. The new metal disc is more angled than the one I took out and takes a good firm push directly in the center of the horn button for it to "honk".....but the horn "honks" at times on it's own when I am slow turning the steering wheel as in parking at slow speeds or slow speed maneuvering. My steering column has slack in it. I replaced the upper bearing in the turn signal switch, but didn't go deeper into the column to replace the lower bearing (yet).

Any thoughts? Rebuild the column and get it tight and the problem will probably fix itself?

Could be slack in the column but I would suspect that the horn wire in the column has a bare spot in it making a connection...the black wire runs all the way thru to the lower part of the column then to the harness..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, working but......

Slt, the steering column must be opened and care must be taken to fit the ring with the ball bearings.It must be put straight and well pressed, because if it is skewed there must be bad contact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts