Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to hook up my HEI ignition. My wiring harness has + and - connections for the old cylindrical coil. The HEI harness that came with the 77 engine has a heavy cable with orange insulation. Do I connect this to the ignition switch? Do I need a relay?

I shifted the mounting position of the HEI ignition coil to provide clearance for the stock steel fuel line.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Rose , yes you can use a relay if you choose too, I just tied mine right into the pink wire from the ignition switch, you do need a full twelve volts for the HEI...if you use the relay use a 10 gauge wire from the hot side of the relay to the HEI. Run an extra ground wire from the cab to frame, frame to engine and engine back to cab, to ensure the HEI gets a proper ground...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How Best to Make the Connection?

I am accustomed to older trucks with screw terminals on ignition switches; this ignition switch has a molded connecter. What is the preferred method for splicing into the pink wire?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Actually use the ten gauge wire and inline 10 amp fuse, and a flag connector..there is a connection at the fuse block (unfused) use a flag connector done, better than tying into the pink wire. See where it says ign unfused, that is where you place your flag connector...done

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great power solution!

Great idea. I didn’t want to cut into the harness. I did it just as you showed in the photo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts