Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my take on a custom fuel tank for the rear of my 69 short stepside.
measured how big I could go to fill the space in between the chassis rails and behind the diff and offset cross member.cut the large piece out -basically the top/bottom and end pieces and got three folds put in it by a sheetmetal place.
as you can see - theres all that free area at the back

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
to protect the tank and also give me a towing option - I made up a towing hitch to bolt to the rear chassis rails.

this next photo shows how it sits in the chassis - I forgot to take some photos along the way :mad:
the round hole in the middle is cut out of the old behind the seat tank so I can use the sender and fuel pickup.
the orange webbing is a cut up cargo strap.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this shows how I made up the filler pipe which uses a short piece of petrol resistant rubber to attatch to the filler tube coming out of the tank.its made from different fillers from the wrecking yard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i decided i wanted the filler in the guard and not in the rear deck area.
used a door lap and surrounding sheetmetal for a wrecking yard japer.this also shows the original filler pipe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
another shot of the finished door before paint and also the patch in the original filler location.

found some more photos of the process beer
the original pattern prior to bending.with the 2 end bits.

filled old tank with water prior to cutting out with air powered cutting disc - safety first - a fiery explosion would be fun!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
played around with the 69 sender unit trying to make it fit but ended up putting a new outlet pipe into it and welding the sender unit on to it and bending the float arm to suit.
tried it on the side first and then the top where it ended up going.

this is the finished one and you can also see the extra breather pipe I welded at the back of the tank so that I had no slowfilling problems or the tank trying to collapse in

this photo shows the little reservoir/sump underneath.

and the finished item.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with it painted you hardly notice it and it holds 80litres so I was stoked with how it turned out.i also found a texas number plate so put that on the other side of the tow hitch to give it some balance.

this is how it sits now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally awesome job, and so cool you used bits and pieces at hand ! ! :)
thanks for that.
the problem , we have over here is -no American stuff in our wrecking yards so we have to adapt. stuff from America is real easy to buy but freight kills it, and I'm too impatient to wait for a container to arrive - which is the cheaper option.
plus I love making things out of bits and pieces. bowtiedb

·
Registered
257 Posts
SWEET work buddy!!!! beer

I plan on removing the fuel tank from the cab and sticking it between the frame rails this winter when i remove the bed to re-skin it.

I planning on converting the steel bed bottom to a wooden deck also, and i will most likely take the easy route and purchase a new fuel tank that fits between the frame rails and sinking the new fuel filler into the wooden bed floor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts