Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I had this 71 chevy 1/2 ton truck. It was a 350 engine with a factory granny low four speed and the rare for a chevy rear leaf springs. I already installed a 76 rear end with 342 gears. It was rusty cracked glass and no title. But ran and drove great. I also have a 67 chevy truck that's a solid body on a 3/4 ton frame. My youngest son Zack found himself out of a job. So I hired him to build a messenginated truck out of the parts of three trucks. So far he has stripped the body off the 71 frame and removed the 350 engine (its gonna find a new home in a 84 PK). I want to build a plain no frills truck with 5 lug wheels disk brakes, no power steering or power brakes. And I have a good V8engine in a 55 GMC. Its a reverse cooled 287 Pontiac engine. The bellhousing on it will bolt to the 71 crossmember and transmission. I will have to fab the front engine mounts. The GMC mill don't have any power steering pump or brackets so it will be ok on this frame because its not power steering. Aside from the labor I will not have to spend very much money to get this rig road worthy.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Oldruckman, what is the 287 pontiac out of, the GMC....?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oldruckman, what is the 287 pontiac out of, the GMC....?
Yes its out of the 55 GMC. I bought the truck on Ebay just looking at the pictures. And it looked much better in those pictures. Not one of my better purchases. So im gonna part it out. What many people don't know is the GMC trucks built prior to 1963 did not have chevy engines. The GMC had their own version of a straight six and later a V6 design. In 55 the chevy was bringing out the 265. So GMC simply went to the Pontiac division and got v8 engines. Most GMC,s with the Pontiac engines also got 4 speed hydro transmissions. My 55 is a stick version . and the bigger trucks received the granny low 4 speeds. And in 56 the GMC got 316 V8,s and in 57 the got the 347 V8,s in 1958 &1959 there was a 334 truck version that was the same design. Now many GMC trucks had the larger 370 and 389 car engines swapped in place of the original. The Engines from cars would fit until the bellhousing design was changed in 1961.Many parts will interchange. A later HEI ignition will fit. you can swap the heads and intakes. the Camshafts are all interchangeable.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yes its out of the 55 GMC. I bought the truck on Ebay just looking at the pictures. And it looked much better in those pictures. Not one of my better purchases. So im gonna part it out. What many people don't know is the GMC trucks built prior to 1963 did not have chevy engines. The GMC had their own version of a straight six and later a V6 design. In 55 the chevy was bringing out the 265. So GMC simply went to the Pontiac division and got v8 engines. Most GMC,s with the Pontiac engines also got 4 speed hydro transmissions. My 55 is a stick version . and the bigger trucks received the granny low 4 speeds. And in 56 the GMC got 316 V8,s and in 57 the got the 347 V8,s in 1958 &1959 there was a 334 truck version that was the same design. Now many GMC trucks had the larger 370 and 389 car engines swapped in place of the original. The Engines from cars would fit until the bellhousing design was changed in 1961.Many parts will interchange. A later HEI ignition will fit. you can swap the heads and intakes. the Camshafts are all interchangeable.
I looked at a Hydro trans from a GMC back in the days when I was building gassers for the originality of the build but then decided it was much easier to run a four speed...finding anyone anymore back then to be able to rebuild the Hydros is not easy or cheap let alone parts if needed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts