Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. My uncle passed a couple of years ago and left me his 1969 C10 short bed. It has the inline 6, 4 speed manual transmission. It started acting up, and since his longtime neighbor and friend works on cars, he wanted to take a look at it. We found out it has a blow head, and it was sitting in his yard while I came up with a plan. I found a reasonably priced T56 out of a 1995 Chevrolet Camaro, so I without putting too much thought into it, I grabbed it. My uncle's neighbor really wants to do this as a gift to me, and to see the C10 my uncle had for years running. He's offered to do the labor for free if I basically buy everything to just drop it in. He's no professional automotive technician, but he's been able to fix all my and my family's cars.

NOW, here's where I need help. I've searched long and wide for a detailed parts list of everything I need for this to work. Again I have a 1995 Camaro T56 and want to pair it with a 2000's 5.3 engine. I don't know much myself about cars, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My first question is...Am I looking for a clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder etc for the 5.3 engine or for the 1995 T56 transmission? I literally only have the transmission and none of the other parts.

Second question is...Am I looking for a specific 5.3 to fit the 1995 Camaro T56, or will any 5.3 work the same?

I've been through a few threads in various forums, youtube videos, etc.. I even private messaged a few people, with no response, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
606 Posts
No disrespect intended but your lack of knowledge and what you intend / would like to do could be a BIG problem for you both and you may be biting off more than you can chew . The guy you hope can do the work should be the one making up a list of what's needed . Best of luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
OP

for the T56 you have it would be WAY more plug & play to use the same engine it was used behind which is the Gen 2 LT1 95-97. This is a 5.7 (350 CI) motor.

The bellhousing, FW, clutch is specific and is a "pull" clutch system but readily available. Ideally you got the bellhousing, fork AND the slave spacer for the external mounted slave that T56 uses

Since the Gen2 LT1 is a computer motor you would, IMHO, want to convert it to carburator. GMPP makes a intake manifold to do that and also a Optispark block off plate for the timing cover so you can run a normal SBC distributor.

The 95-97 LT1/T56 is done many times into older cars, even keeping them computer FI motors but I would stay simple and go carb conversion on it

BTW that T56 you got is worth $ as they are not available new anymore for those years. Great trans. If it is of unknown use....may need some work. Rebuilds are likely $1500 if you have the trans as otherwise they are extinct except what you find in a 95-97 donor car and those typically need rebuilding

I would buy a rebuilt LT1 motor from Golen Engines but get it in the carb set up. Contact Chad there. They are highly regarded builder of the LT1. I have their 383 4 bolt main forged 383 LT1 shortblock. 45+k mi on it now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts