Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to fix up my family's old truck that Ben sitting in a barn for 25 years and I have no idea how bad the rust on the fram and component underneath are and though someone here knows more than me
(Photos linked below)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
First off sign0016 To C10 Truck. The pictures really don't tell the story. I have seen lots worse come back post some pictures of the outside and maybe the engine. Dose it run? When was the last time it ran. I see your in MI. so am I. I'm in Constantine. Glad to have you here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put some pictures of the out side though they aren't great because of the location and it I did kinda get a picture of the engine. It's not running but I also haven't tried yet and the last time it ran was like 25 years ago

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here, you`d be better to get pictures of it during day light hours, thou it does look to be heavy rust, it could be salvageable.. sign0016

·
Registered
45 Posts
Look the truck over well. There is a big difference between surface rust (like what you are seeing on the frame/tailpipe/etc) and rust that has eaten through body parts (usually the bottom of doors/fenders/ and in some cases around the windshield area). Surface rust you can usually ignore to a point. Eaten Thru rust...that will be something that you will have to determine on a case-by-case basis. Here it can get expensive depending on the amount of cancer your truck has, but some stuff can wait, others can't. You can ask around here for ideas and helpful insight. Many of the people here have forgotten more about these old pieces of Art than the people that built them.

Are you looking at just getting it running and possibly driving it around or are you planning on a Major restoration job? There is a very large difference in scope of work and total overall cost (in parts and labor if done by a professional). Just getting it running might cost you a few hundred dollars (we hope it isn't more) and a few weekends of your time. A complete Off Frame restore will cost you MUCH more, and you will become good friends with many of the replacement part shops that are online. Do your shopping around, you can find deals on stuff...and the Wrecking Yard can be your Friend!

Some things to think about:

Engine: if it hasn't been run in 25 years, you may have some problems with the carburetor being gummed up inside. The gaskets and such inside can dry out over time and when you start working the throttle, can cause them to crack or start to leak.

Also, check the oil and change it...25 year old oil is not something to trust, and an oil change is a lot cheaper than rebuilding or replacing a motor that blew because of old oil.

Fuel: Check the fuel tank. What ever was in it, after 25 years, is NOT going to be anything that will start your truck. If there is anything in it that is still in liquid form, try your best to get it out somehow.

Also, when you try to start it, Watch the fuel pump. Over time, the diaphragm in them can go bad, so that when you are starting the truck, you can literally pump gas into your engine oil. Causing a possible catastrophic engine loss (either through a fire, or the engine throwing a bearing due to the oil being thinned out).

Suspension: looking at the pics, it appears that your suspension is original. You will probably have to either rebuild it (like I just did on my 65) or replace the crossmember with one from a newer chevy (as many on here have). Either way, before you take it out on the road for a trip, Please check your steering play (at the gearbox, tie-rod ends, etc), the rag joint (they can dry rot over time), and shock mounts (some can work loose and wallow out the holes).

Electrical: Give it a look see to make sure that while it has been in the barn, several generations of mice haven't decided to move in and start munching on the wiring. This will also allow you to make sure that your safety stuff (headlights, brake and tail lights etc) work as they should.

After that, the rest is up to you. Good luck on your project! And if you run into problems, just ask around here...I'm sure someone will have an answer for you, or at least be able to point you in the right direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts