Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I should already know the answer by common sense... But I need to still ask because I am quiet unknowledgable with Chevy.... My steering wheel and colum all original. Still 3 speed and 3 on the tree, BUT, someone took out the OG turn signal arm and installed those crapppy bulky after market turn signals which new doesn't even work -,-.... My question is, my steer wheel wiggles up and down, I'm assuming that it is obviously loose, but I noticed, when I hold it up, my gearrs don't grind when I put into first or reverse gear. I feel like the wheel is going to break when I'm doing a U-turn and I'm turning the wheel and it's just wiggling around -,-..... Does anyone know what the problem is or why it is loose? And if so, how do I got th horn button off and tighten it down, or is that even the answer? Just tighten te bolt down with a impact drill?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I doubt that the steering wheel itself is loose.(Could be ) Most likely its a bearing gone bad. You should be able to remove the horn ring and see if it is loose if so just tighten it up using a deep well socket and ratchet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt that the steering wheel itself is loose.(Could be ) Most likely its a bearing gone bad. You should be able to remove the horn ring and see if it is loose if so just tighten it up using a deep well socket and ratchet.
Damn how do I replace the bearing? And where is it located?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Damn how do I replace the bearing? And where is it located?
There are ball bearing at the top and bottom of the column.

On many of our trucks the lower bearing wears out and the ball bearings fall out (it's a bad design). Then the steering column outer housing starts wearing thru the steering shaft. This can be dangerous....

I had to work my way through this on the ole '65 C10 and I am betting you can learn from my adventures. Check out post #25 on the following thread: http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=13928&page=2

Hope this helps!

_____
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts