Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL and Happy New Year to the group.

Have a 1965 SWB truck with no VIN plates on the cab Nothing,

Took the number from the front drivers side engine bay 6A175711

Then the numbers from under the driver's side door below on the frame
3881391 120 6 21 113

Number don't seem to match to the Factory Assembly Manual. Am I missing something here????

Hopefully the pics come out as well

Thanks guys

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Is there a vin plate of the drivers door jamb like this ? When you say engine bay is it on the top of frame rail, drivers side, just in front of engine mount..?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
406Rich,

Yes, top frame rail from engine bay 6A175711 drivers side. The longer number comes from under the drivers side door on the side of the frame

Thanks man

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
1965 SWB truck with no VIN plates on the cab Nothing, front drivers side engine bay 6A175711
numbers from under the driver's side door below on the frame
3881391 120 6 21 113

Number don't seem to match to the Factory Assembly Manual. Am I missing something here????
Do you have the vin tag on the drivers side door jamb...if its been painted over easy to miss...?
front drivers side engine bay 6A175711 Are you missing any letters in this group here..
the frame used an abbreviated vin, only the year, plant , and #

numbers from under the driver's side door below on the frame
3881391 120 6 21 113 are the frame part numbers, you would have the same number both sides of frame.
The secondary vin number placement is ( supposed ) to be on the top frame rail drivers side just aft of the rear cab mount.
Gm made a change in the vin format starting in 1964, there are documented cases of plant screw ups....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
406Rich No vin tags on the Drivers side door jam, I checked. I may have to go to the DMV on next steps.

I thought the frame number (Top of frame engine bay location) was the serial number/Vin on the truck. Am I wrong on this???

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
406Rich,

So I would have to remove the bed or wood bed slats to see the secondary vin/serial numbers correct?

I have to remove the original wood anyway. From my research on Google, that top frame vin location is suppose to be the VIN/serial # Maybe mine is one of those screw ups.

Ok, hopefully Ill get to the wood bed tear down this coming week. Ill reach out to keep you updated.

Thanks 406Rich

PS If you have any other thoughts please let me know

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The left top numbers on the frame engine compartment are you Vin, should match your title/pink slip.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
406Rich

Yeah It just seems a little short. The frame numbers from the engine bay 6A175711.

Thank you for your help :)

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Do you have a pink slip on said truck...? :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a pink slip on said truck...? :)
406Rich,

I have a bill of sale, the truck was the wifes father. I did not see the vin tags so I knew I could get it off the frame.

Yeah, I know dumb move. I know where they live and I can go back to get the deceased fathers name. The wife said she inherited everything from the estate.

Yeah I know I put myself in a pickle. Will try to see if the short VIN will work at the DMV if not I will ask for whats next and provide the wifes info to them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DMV Cant find the truck in their system, will have to have a police officer to run the VIN#

Stay tuned for more updates LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
406Rich,

The DMV requested that I have a police officer to verify the VIN and sign off on a piece of paper by the DMV. I know a policer officer so will ask him to verify.

Will keep the group updated.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Cool, hope it all works out, and yes keep us updated...! beer Your vin will look like this in totality... C146A175711
C=Chevrolet, 1=1/2 ton, 4=Stepside, 6=model year, A=Atlanta, 1=all vins had 1 in the vins, your truck was the 75,711 vehicle from the Atlanta plant that year...almost at the end of thee run actually.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

406Rich,

I spoke with with a police officer friend of mine and he gave me the full class on the "Bill of Sale" here in the Atlanta area and the South. Being from California this was a little of shock how a Bill of Sale written on toilet paper will workfor DMV.

He will do the VIN check and sign the paperwork. But, yeah Bill of Sale is pretty crazy if some thief steels a hot rod the chances of seeing said hot rod is very low. A Bill of Sale will can be easily faked , forged and its you'll never know its in the city next too registered to some one else. SMH

Thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

All,

Sorry for the delay to udate. Yeah, I found the VIN plate buried under thick primer.

I noticed two thick bulbs in the primer and started pushing up on it and the primer cracked off revealing the VIN plate screws. Then the vin plate with the lettering and numbers appeared.

Everything is good. Sold the truck to a customer and I am know building it out for him. I am taking the truck to blast next week to start with a clean canvas.

Will take plenty of pics on the build.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts