Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site and excited to be here!
I have a 66 that I am trying to get back on the road.
I am in Northern California.

Mel

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mel, I too in Norcal....enjoy your stay....sign0016 post some pics up when you can..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
66 Short Bed C10

This is a picture of my 66 short bed. When I got it the engine was seized. I was able to get it unlocked and it runs great. Has a 350 with an AT. I have been working on the wiring which was a disaster. I don't have any tail lights, brake lights or turn signals. It's come a ways but I have more to do.... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
That's a clean looking 66. Wiring can be a pain if I have to make any connections that are outside the cab I solder then and use shrink tubing Then silicone the ends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
66 Short Bed C10

Thanks for the heads up on soldering. I have replaced the following and I am still having trouble;

1. fuse box wiring harness
2. turn signal switch
3. dash wiring harness
4. complete rear harness from firewall back to rear tail lights
5. engine wiring harness
6. tail light wiring harness
7. ignition switch
8. light switch
9. dimmer switch

The problem is, no tail lights or turn signals with engine started.
Engine started head lights work but no tail lights
Engine not running both turn signals blink. both sides are dim?

This is a picture of a 64 that I have also, running driving. Not sure if I am going to keep it or not has a strong 400, 3 speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
With out being there and seeing what's what I'd guess the ignition switch wiring is where I'd start. Do you have a drawing of the wiring??

The reason I say that is with the ignition on you have different things than with it on , but not the right things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
66 Short Bed C10

Yes, I have a wiring diagram and I will start tracing things down. That make sense.

thank you,

Mel

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Mel before you beat yourself up on this, these trucks are notorious for bad grounds, build or buy ground straps, better if you build them from 00 welding cable, if not that buy the biggest ground strap from your local parts store, ground it three ways, engine to frame, frame to cab, cab to engine, not only will a lot of the electrical gremlins go away but lights will be brighter and engine will crank faster, guaranteed.. you may also want to run another ground from frame to bed sheet metal, not to bed... sill JMO....by the way nice truck you have...! beer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
66 Short Bed C10

Thank you,

I will work on adding the ground straps this weekend. When I got the truck it didn't have any ground straps. I put one up by the battery to the cab and that made a difference. Hadn't thought of all of the areas you mentioned.

Mel
:)

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thank you,

I will work on adding the ground straps this weekend. When I got the truck it didn't have any ground straps. I put one up by the battery to the cab and that made a difference. Hadn't thought of all of the areas you mentioned.

Mel
:)
Mel when you do this ensure that the metal is clean of paint and rust and use starr washers to bite into the metal.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome To C10 Trucks.Nice 66,if you in S Texas we could be talking about that 64.Love those year models.Star washers is an excellent idea,they help make a great connection.
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts