Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Mike and I own a 1972 Custom/10 LWB with factory Heavy-Duty Rear Leaf Suspension.

I have owned the vehicle since I was in High School (class of '04). I am in the process of restoring/upgrading the truck and it's performance. I recently disassembled the entire front clip and removed the 350/th350 combo so I could rebuild the engine after having put 4,000 miles on a "soft" rebuild, i.e. starter,alternator,hei distributor,plugs,wires,gaskets (excluding head gaskets),water pump, timing chain, original 1972 q-jet 4mv rebuild. Resulting in a blown head gasket. They were 20 years old and the truck was not driven for about 8 years.

I was hopeful that replacing the head gaskets would get me back on the road. Which wasn't the case, all cylinders had a ridge on them and needed a rebore.(was already. 030 over.), heads were already sleeved and welded from a previous crack.(882's). So I decided rebuild was in order. Which got me: .040 on the block and decked with new cam bearings (block checked out fine after magnaflux), light Polish on the already .10 under crank, .040 "eyebrow" pistons, new bearings, comp cam kit (XE250H hydraulic flat tappet "RV" cam,lifters,z28 valve springs), 1.5 ratio roller tipped rocker arms on a set of reman 882 casting heads, all new gaskets,new balancer. All assembled by me in my garage.
Reinstalled in the truck and reassembled the front clip, and complete American Autowire "Classic Update" series rewire of the truck all done myself. Turned the key and the damn thing started! Now, I've got about 10,000 miles on it and enjoy every mile of it! Looking forward to a long term and contributing membership.
I'm also a member of 67-72chevytrucks.com under the same handle.
*sorry about the sideways photo ahead of time.*

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike, glad you joined in the fun...sign0016

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sign0016 to C10 Trucks Mike nice looking ride Did you stay with the 350 trans??
Yes, I only replaced the filter and resealed the pan. That got me along until recently when I found my O.E. modulator full of trans fluid. So I replaced it with an adjustable one from autozone. A more recent update is that last Tuesday my column shifter broke inside the column...after searching online for a night I decided on "Classic Industries" '71-'72 chrome 3 speed/automatic column gear shifter for $22, and also thein 1972 trans linkage coupler (the one that bolts directly to the side of the trans case.) For $12. Received both this afternoon for under $50 :D
I'm about to walk out and at least install the shifter so I can fire up the truck after sitting for a few days.

I wonder if my neighbors miss my 3" true-dual Flowmaster "super" 40 exhaust yet? Lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts