Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I navigated to this forum from a link on TriFive.com. I hope it becomes even half as popular as the TriFive forum!

I owned a 1969 C10 LWB for 24 years before giving it to my son last year. Over the years I added power steering, power disc brakes, limited slip diff, Vintage Air, and 5-on-5 rotors and axles. It originally had a 307, got a 383, and ended up with a mild 355. It still has the original TH-350 trans. When I gave the truck to my son, it had zero fluid leaks, which is pretty rare among the old cars and trucks I've owned!

Just recently bought a 1982 C10 SWB with 250 six engine and 3-speed manual trans. It's an unmolested "Custom Deluxe" base truck with zero options, unless power steering was an option. It also has the original paint. As you can see, a previous owner added 255-70x15 tires on rally wheels, which I really like. The truck goes straight down the road, and its manual brakes work surprising well. The 250 six runs just OK, and needs some diagnosis. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd almost brings it to its knees if trying to accelerate briskly. The trans has some seriously wide ratios, starting off with a 3.50 1st gear. Axle is a very lame 2.73 and not a good match for the wimpy six! I have a stock bore 305 long block that I may considering rebuilding for the truck, but would like to get the six running halfway decent in the short term. May also change diff gears to 3.08 or 3.23.

My first project is to repair the 3-on-the-tree steering column. Shifting is very sloppy, at best! Will start another thread with details and pictures of the rebuild.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
MikeB Welcome to C10 you have a nice ride there. Your sons truck sounds quit nice too. Chevy 3 on the tree has NEVER been anything to brag about I have it on my 72 for now but will be 4 on the floor when done. We love pictures by the way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to keep the column shift at least for awhile. I think it's kind of cool because it's so rare. Maybe that's because they all stopped working well at 100K miles or less!

Once I get the column rebuilt and the engine running optimally, I'll drive it for a while to see if I want to do further mods, like a different rear axle ratio, V-8 and auto trans. I plan to use it for quarterly dump runs, trips to the hardware store, and for carrying large items for short distances. It will never get a big cam, big carb, or headers. It won't be lowered or tubbed, and won't have A/C.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Glad you jumped in Mike, enjoy your stay and we`re all willing to help you spend the money....!beer PS might want to check the vaccum advance maybe leaking dashpot..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Howdy !

I'm over here in Garland. Working with Grandson on a 64 C 10 Short bed step side. Looking forward to the day we will have ours looking as good as yours. Maybe we'll see you over at Cars & Breakfast @ the BMW house on the North Dallas Freeway some 1st Saturday of the warmer months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich, thanks for the vacuum canister tip. Also, the engine has something like 5 separate emissions control systems. Glad I have the factory service manual.

Runem -- you haven't seen my truck up close and in person!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nor have you ours. ....

It is primer gray with no interior, cracked paint on both doors, 5.3 LS & tranny is in storage just waiting for warmer weather, etc. Yours, by comparison is great!

Oh, by the way. Cars & coffee starts EARLY & ends about 10 to 11 am. Every one can learn something from all the rides there, whether a beater, stocker, Vette, BMW or whatever. There is about 30 to 40 million dollars of cars out there on any given first Saturday....and entrance is free...both to participants and spectators. The $$$ amount is driven up by the Rolls, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. but they all are good to enjoy and learn from.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome Mike, I`m new here also & have learned a lot in a short time. These guys are knowledgeable & helpful. I see you are in Texas I`m in Michigan, wanna trade weather? The windchill is about 25 below with no end in sight. DEPRESSING I bought a project `65 stepside last fall that was originally from texas. The bumper is engraved with Kinabrew-McGuffey Motors Athens, Texas started working on it a little Kind of a grandpa/grandson project. Nice `82 by the way. The`69 sounds nice too. See you around, Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man that's clean!! I love those stripped down bare bone trucks! I think the rear gear change would help ya out a ton IMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts