Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am 13 years old and I just got a my first truck, a '61 Apache C10 4x4 and am going to work on fixing it up over the next few years, so I can drive it when I turn 16. Present condition: Straight 6 engine with a knock, functioning four on the floor and transfer case, dash has been cut out, missing floor board and the previous owner kept it together with duct tape, bailing wire and expandable foam that I'm going to have to redo.

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep it original or update it, I've heard the running gear from newer trucks with disc brakes and better suspension will fit without a lot of extra work. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Skrall, glad to have you here...Well you have a `61 knapco 4x4 they are getting hard to find anymore. So you are wanting to convert the 4x4 to two wheel drive as I understand it..?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Lot of guys use the mid seventies running gear 4x4 under there early apache trucks mainly the blazer, not sure why...other than maybe availability...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to do that within the next couple of days, so you guys could see what condition the truck is in. I will also post pictures as I'm working on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lot of guys use the mid seventies running gear 4x4 under there early apache trucks mainly the blazer, not sure why...other than maybe availability...
Thanks 406Rich. Do you know what kind of modifications would be needed to put that running gear on my truck?. It looks like it could go underneath pretty easily from some of the posts I've read. Here are some pictures of my truck.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Is this a running driving 4x4 Skrall, ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, it runs and drives but has a knock in the engine, so, aside from pulling it on and off the trailer and parking it, I've never driven it so I don't know how well it drives.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Sometimes pulleys, harmonic balancer, come loose and sound just like a engine internally, rule these out before you tear into the engine, you can use a broom stick, length of pvc pipe to place in various areas and hold your ear to it, this may help find the issue. you can even remove the fan belt and run it for a short time to see if the knock still exists while its running

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the fact that the knock was intensified when we added Sea-foam to clean the engine out matter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts