Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 C10 Silverado
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone-

I am 26. My truck was a 16th birthday gift from my dad and grandpa. It is a black on black 1986 C10 Silverado with the factory 5.0L 305. The 305 has always had its fair share of leaks and the carburetor has never been great, but the truck runs good. My dad and I lowered it using a 5/7 spindle and c-notch kit. At the time I pulled all the moldings off and the interior out to upgrade, I regret doing that now. The truck has been sitting for just about a year, and I am ready to get it back on the road. I want to share with you guys and I hope I can learn from everyone along the way!

I would love to hear any and all recommendations. I plan on being an active member of this community!

Here is a picture of my truck when I first got it
0DE62316-5F71-4341-9BF2-9171614835F3.jpeg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Beautiful truck, man! When it comes time to refresh the motor, I'd suggest ditching the 305. A fun engine would be the Fastburn 385. It is a 350 with good torque and HP specs and 350 parts are widely available and less expensive that many other engine choices. An LS swap would be an awesome mill choice for that too, but you'd be spending more money and time to integrate a wiring harness.

·
Registered
1986 C10 Silverado
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful truck, man! When it comes time to refresh the motor, I'd suggest ditching the 305. A fun engine would be the Fastburn 385. It is a 350 with good torque and HP specs and 350 parts are widely available and less expensive that many other engine choices. An LS swap would be an awesome mill choice for that too, but you'd be spending more money and time to integrate a wiring harness.
Thank you! I have a 350 and an LS1. I’ve been leaning toward the 350 because it needs less work and I just like 350s. I used to like the idea of modernizing the truck with an LS and interior but as I’ve gotten older I think I want to keep it looking and sounding as original as possible. Besides the 5/7 drop lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with the 350 decision. I have a 69 Camaro with the ZZ430 in it; good rumble and the smell of inefficient fuel consumption! For the 68 truck I am building, my cousin was trying to talk me into an LS setup but I am still in love with the sound and simplicity of a carbed engine with a decent cam.

·
Registered
1986 C10 Silverado
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the 350 decision. I have a 69 Camaro with the ZZ430 in it; good rumble and the smell of inefficient fuel consumption! For the 68 truck I am building, my cousin was trying to talk me into an LS setup but I am still in love with the sound and simplicity of a carbed engine with a decent cam.
Definitely. I think I have made up my mind on the 350, any recommendations on the intake and carb? I’d also like to power it with a 700r4. That seems like a pretty popular setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts