Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you for what looks to be a great resource for these old trucks!

Right now I enjoy two of these old stovebolts. The first is a 1951 Chevy 3100 that was my grandpa's truck. I remember driving it around his pasture as a little kid, when my legs weren't long enough to reach the pedals. Now its a trip down memory lane every time I get in it. Grandpa replaced the original Babbitt beater motor with a 1st generation 235 and installed a 4-speed manual tranny decades ago. When I got the truck that motor was seized beyond repair, so I put a 2nd generation 235 in it, but kept the 4-speed. Otherwise, it's been converted to 12-volt with an alternator and enjoys modern wheels and radial tires, but is otherwise pretty much the way Grandpa left it.

[/URL][/IMG]

The second truck was inspired by the truck my Dad had when I was a kid. His was a 1961 GMC, but was lost due to a bent frame as a result of an accident caused by a bad rag joint, that was a fun ride. :( At the time, my Mom was driving and my three brothers and I were all in the cab with her. Our feelings on vehicle safety requirements were a little different back in the 70's weren't they? Anyway, we all survived with not much more to show for it but a couple of chipped teeth on that metal dash and a severely tweaked truck.

My version is a 1961 Chevy Apache 10 fleetside longbed that I've been working on, off and on, for close to 20 years. It was my daily driver when I bought it in 1996 to some time in 1999. At that time I stripped it down to the frame and began a complete rebuild, but promotions and deployments kept getting in the way, so I put it back together and into storage. When I finally retired in 2012 and we moved home to Kansas, the truck came out of hidding and has been waiting its turn on the priority sheet. Now she is front and center in the shop and I'm almost back down to the frame to begin the rebuild anew.

In total, the frame has been stripped and painted, front end converted to 6-lug disc brakes, 2.5" drop spindles, and power steering. The rear end is a 12-bolt truck unit with drum brakes out of a 1970 pickup, and uses 4" drop springs. Right now I'm working on dialing in the rearend setup, figuring out a frame mounted gas tank that I'm happy with, and getting ready to begin fitting in a TBI350/700R4 combo out of a 1992 Buick Roadmaster. To add a little more challenge, I'm also using 17" modern wheels off a 2007 Chevy 1500 with all the backspacing fun associated.

Seems I keep selecting the hardest parts to use, but keep fabricating my way forward. Hopefully the 61 will see the light of day again someday, but until then I'm having fun playing with it and remembering these good old trucks from a long time ago.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
sign0016 to C10 Trucks And thank you for your service. I have had several of the 50/51 3100's they are easy and great trucks to put together with newer components. Your 61 sounds like a lot of others in that you mix and match to get what you want and that's what it is all about. Seems your having fun. I have a son who's a pastor in Leoti KS. His first car was a 69 Chevy truck. We look forward to hearing more about your builds. Enjoy your stay.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your build...!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome to C10.Not speaking for myself cause sometimes I think I'm losing it,but you will find a bunch of knowledgeable people here.Enjoy.
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts