Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is James and I'm new to the C10 forum. I'm currently working on a 1965 C10 stepside short bed pickup. This is my first project build and I'm over two years into it. I want to share information about using cheap Chinese parts...well...don't. I got my truck up to the point that I could drive it for testing and had a ball joint failure that could have been very catastrophic. My left lower ball joint failed just as I was turning onto a side street. Luckily I was only going like 3 mph. Turns out that the castle nut threads failed and let the shaft of the ball joint slip through. The cotter pin sheared as well. This was not due to being over tightened either. The threads on the ball joint shaft were still intact. I didn't have another castle nut to put on and limp back home but I was able to reinstall the shaft and lock it in place with a pair of vice grips and make the slow 1 mile trip back home after which I stripped off everything Chinese made and installed Moog products. Lesson is don't use the cheap overseas crap...you will regret it if you live to...Thanks for reading...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
sign0016 James. Sorry to hear of your issues with over seas crap. There are just some things you don't want to take chances with. anim_25 with the rest of your build. Post some pictures when you have time

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you and your truck are OK.....and yes it pays not to buy cheap offshore parts....

·
Registered
64 Posts
AK, what kind of parts did you use? I am in the process of redoing the front end on my 64 and just curious.
Where are you located in Alabama?
P.S. Welcome in James, great guys here with unlimited info that they share freely. Amazing people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bama Blue, for my front end I have 2 inch drop spindle disc brake set up with all Moog ball joints and tie rods. I have CPP adjusting links also

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bama Blue, for my front end I have 2 inch drop spindle disc brake set up with all Moog ball joints and tie rods. I have CPP adjusting links also
Looks good, I have checked out your photo album. I have been slowly but surely rebuilding the front end on my 64. I went with the stock spindle disc brake set up and have been collecting parts for the steering. Oddly enough having trouble getting a Moog pitman arm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts