Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story first:

My name is Chris, I live in Alaska, recently got a C10 that I want to fix up. Hopefully I can make friends and gather tons of info from the help of C10trucks.com =)

Long story:

When I was in the Army, stationed in NC, I bought a 65 C10 (driveable) from a dude up the street for 500 bucks. Extra windshield, extra grill, extra cowls, extra fender.

My dream was to fix it up, but the Army gave me orders to Italy 3 weeks later.

My neighbor and I (Thank you Dan!) tore it apart, threw some bondo here and some primer there in order to prepare it to sit in my mothers back yard for 3 years, whilst I served overseas. I put a thick coat of olive drab house paint on it, to help it sit out its 3 year wait.

When I returned to be stationed at NC again, I started it up at momma's house and drove it from WV to NC, with dreams and aspirations of "fixing it up", yet again.

Two weeks later, the steering column wiring harness caught fire, I pulled over, had it towed to the house, and placed it in the garage... This was 2002. I had the money, but no time...

In 2012, The army again sent me orders, this time to Alaska. With a heavy heart, I had to put the C10 up for sale, even though it had sat there for 10 years without me touching it one time... It held my wheel barrow and other big items in the back, we hid Christmas toys in the cab, but other than that.. Never touched it. I fixed the steering column wiring, got her running, and let her go.

I retired from the Army in 2015 and decided to stay in Alaska. Just recently, I decided to find something to tinker on (less money, but lots more time).

I looked on Craigslist for about 2 days until, lo and behold... there was another 65 C10 for sale, this time a 4x4. Perfect for Alaska.

So, I got it and here I am. Cant wait to look through the forums and learn, learn, learn...

Thanks for having me =)

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris, glad to have you here. Great looking 4x4 you have, makes me almost want another for myself.. sign0016

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you cffisher.

Im not much of a mechanic, used to help my old man a lot rebuilding engines and such.

I plan on stripping everything off down to the frame and grinding away all the rust, putting some type of undercoat, installing disc brakes, and getting good wheels and rubber.

Then just go piece by piece putting it back together again.

It has a crate 350 in it now, runs fine.. I might add some cosmetics to it. The transmission grinds a bit, (go figure).

It just has zero brakes. was fun driving it home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts